• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

great expectations -charles dickens (1 Viewer)

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Pip Pirrip's Great Expectations. It's a very good read, however quite long and tedious at times. With a context and stylistic formality similar to taht of Jane Austen it may not be most people's cup of tea. However, I for one hate Emma, and generally liked great expectations. It's definately a book I'd read if I had some time, say over the two week holidays, and has a great correlation to the Journeys syllabus. I won't ruin the plot for you but there are many ironic situations involved and views at both the rich and the poor classes of society. =) happy reading :)

deano059

HSC
nick1048 said:
Pip Pirrip's Great Expectations. It's a very good read, however quite long and tedious at times. With a context and stylistic formality similar to taht of Jane Austen it may not be most people's cup of tea. However, I for one hate Emma, and generally liked great expectations. It's definately a book I'd read if I had some time, say over the two week holidays, and has a great correlation to the Journeys syllabus. I won't ruin the plot for you but there are many ironic situations involved and views at both the rich and the poor classes of society. =) happy reading :)
is it reasonably easy to follow? ie such as i read heart of darkness recently and it took soooooo long because it was just so descriptiive - the the extent where u just couldnt/didnt want to read it

djmattyd

HSC
It's pretty easy to follow in so far as the story isn't complicated, and it's a really good book once you get to the end. However, I found it difficult to get into. Once you get past the first 50 pages or so, it starts to get really interesting. My year did it in yr11 too, and to be perfectly honest with you, most people didn't read it because they just couldn't get into it. Yet, once I had finished it, I found it one of the most rewarding stories I'd ever read.

It's really worth reading, and it does have a really interesting plot and that, but you need to push yourself beyond the first 50 pages, and then you'll be fine.

It's not descriptive to the point of not wanting to read it either...it's just kind of boring at the start.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
for me it wasn't much of an easy read. :(
but yeah, after you get a little bit into it it's not so bad.
you can always watch the movie, or the southpark version of it... :rolleyes: which i doubt would really help you :p

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
djmattyd said:
It's pretty easy to follow in so far as the story isn't complicated, and it's a really good book once you get to the end. However, I found it difficult to get into. Once you get past the first 50 pages or so, it starts to get really interesting. My year did it in yr11 too, and to be perfectly honest with you, most people didn't read it because they just couldn't get into it. Yet, once I had finished it, I found it one of the most rewarding stories I'd ever read.

It's really worth reading, and it does have a really interesting plot and that, but you need to push yourself beyond the first 50 pages, and then you'll be fine.

It's not descriptive to the point of not wanting to read it either...it's just kind of boring at the start.
Yeah I would seriously back up that argument, and yes it's quite easy to read, no where near as complicated as some novels, such as Cyteen >.<. It's a childrens novel by genre...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Unless your a big clump of shit masquerading as a retard, youll definately enjoy this book. It is my favourite book of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)