• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help! Biology questions + research task. (1 Viewer)

I_Scientist_I

HSC
N/A
1. What are the 'perfect' definitions of "Reliability", "Accuracy" and "Validity"?

When I think of reliability, 'repetition and averages' come into my mind. Is there anything else I should add?
When I think of accuracy, 'the precision of the result in relation to the accepted value' comes into mind. Is there anything else I should add?
And finally, for validity, I just see whether the method is carried out in the right way and if it tests the hypothesis of the experiment. Anything else?

2. "A student explains why an investigation is best undertaken individually or by a team"

Lol, how could I explain this? Any detailed information on this?
  • Outline the evidence that led to Beadle and Tatum's "one gene - one protein" hypothesis and explain why this was alrted to the "one gene - one polypeptide hypothesis"
I was thinking of doing PVA (vinyl) since the teacher stated that it was his personal favourite (meaning more marks :D). Would anyone else recommend me anything else? I'd love to hear it. Any useful sources and information regarding it?
  • Construct a flow chart that shows that changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity.
What program should I use to construct this? The only program that I can use and pops into mind is Microsoft Paint LOL. Oh, any useful sources and information for this dotpoint also?
  • Analyse the relative importance of the work of James Watson, Francis Crick, Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins in determining the structure of DNA and the impact of the quality of collaboration and communication on their scientific research.
This dotpoint is a biggie (6 marks). How should I answer this dotpoint in relation to the verb "Analyse"? Any tips? I can do the research for this myself.

Thank you all!

P.S. I have no intention in asking you to do my assignment. I just require some assistance and tips for reassurance. Please don't take this as plagiarism, as I will cite whatever source you give me.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
1. What are the 'perfect' definitions of "Reliability", "Accuracy" and "Validity"?

When I think of reliability, 'repetition and averages' come into my mind. Is there anything else I should add?
When I think of accuracy, 'the precision of the result in relation to the accepted value' comes into mind. Is there anything else I should add?
And finally, for validity, I just see whether the method is carried out in the right way and if it tests the hypothesis of the experiment. Anything else?
Validity - the extent to which the processes and resultant data measure what was intended.

Reliability - the degree with which repeated observation and/or measurements taken under identical circumstances will yield the same results.

Accuracy - the exactness of a measurement, like you said. You could add in ways in which you could improve accuracy, in regards to equipment and sample sizes.

2. "A student explains why an investigation is best undertaken individually or by a team"
Lol, how could I explain this? Any detailed information on this?
Compare and contrast why individual and teamwork have their own respective advantages and disadvantages eg- lesser effort, broader perspectives and sharing of work and ideas to build on scientific skills when working in a team.
  • Outline the evidence that led to Beadle and Tatum's "one gene - one protein" hypothesis and explain why this was alrted to the "one gene - one polypeptide hypothesis"
I was thinking of doing PVA (vinyl) since the teacher stated that it was his personal favourite (meaning more marks :D). Would anyone else recommend me anything else? I'd love to hear it. Any useful sources and information regarding it?

I don't think this really requires a practical experiment to outline this, rather you should research what Beadle and Tatum did, and what their method was. Research their experiment, the use of the mould, Neurospora crassa, and the effects of mutations on the amino acids and enzymes after Beadle and Tatum streamed X-rays into the mould.

The latter part - scientists started to realise that although all enzymes are proteins, not all proteins are enzymes. And what Beadle and Tatum really showed, iirc, was that a defect of a gene would result in a mutated polypeptide (as proteins are made out of one or more polypeptides folded into a 3D shape), as opposed to the whole protein.

• Construct a flow chart that shows that changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity.
What program should I use to construct this? The only program that I can use and pops into mind is Microsoft Paint LOL. Oh, any useful sources and information for this dotpoint also?
Simple, you can just uses boxes and arrows on a Word Document, and utilise a wide variety of codons to show the effect of changes in the DNA sequences eg- deletion, substitution, amplification etc
  • Analyse the relative importance of the work of James Watson, Francis Crick, Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins in determining the structure of DNA and the impact of the quality of collaboration and communication on their scientific research.
This dotpoint is a biggie (6 marks). How should I answer this dotpoint in relation to the verb "Analyse"? Any tips? I can do the research for this myself.
This is a good area to research imo. Look up the works of Franklin in particular, and her use of X-ray crystallography in DNA experiments. Know about how Wilkins, as Franklin's assistant, 'corroborated' (more so, gave away), information to Watson and Crick which ultimately resulted in their 'discovery' of the double helical shape of DNA. Scientists over time have made their discoveries due to communication and corroboration/collaboration with other scientists. In regards to DNA, Watson and Crick were able to use and build upon Franklin's ideas to propose the double helical shape. Without the contribution of each scientist, this concept might have not been possible at all.

Last edited:

I_Scientist_I

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much Kujah!

And one more question. What are the benefits of working 'independently' instead of working as a 'team'? No disagreeing/arguments?

And for the "analyse" question (Identify components and the relationship between them; draw our and relate implications), how would you structure this?

E.g. For the "Compare" verb, you'd draw up a table.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)