• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help For Choosing Prelim HSC Subjects (1 Viewer)

valeria.m5.5

HSC
Hey, i was hoping to create a thread where people can ask others for help in choosing subjects for thier Preliminary HSC.
I really need help in choosing my final 2 units for the preliminary HSC. so, heres my situation:

-Advanced english
-IPT
-Art
-Biology
-Bussiness Studies
-(here's where the help is needed, 2 more units)

I'm doing very well in computer involved subjects, and art.
I am aiming for a UAI of above 90, which is relatively common at my school.
Maths isn't so great for m, so im thinking about not doing it.
Graphic design or Visual communications is the degree i want in university.
Please help me, do you think the subjects i am choosing are wise?
If you are doing a course in uni to do with graphic design or visual communications, please tell me what you need to do at school to do well in it. Do you think i will need maths?, if i do maths it would only be general...

HSC
i wouldn't think you would really need maths, my sister does a similar course (graphic design/marketing) to what you want to do and she hasn't done any whatsoever to my knowledge.

why don't you pick a humanities like history, society and culture or something or artsy type subjects such as drama or music? if you want to do graphic design/communications chances are you will like them more. other suggestions are extension english (depends on your ability) and perhaps economics.

youve made a good choice with your subjects, i think you would only really need art but it definitely helps to be good with computers to be a graphic designer so IPT is a good choice too. just pick what you are interested in really.

valeria.m5.5

HSC
wow, thanks guys thats exactly what i needed to read :)
My sis did bussiness studies and she thinks i shouldn't do it,but im pretty sure that i will anyway, i'l drop i if i don't like it.
I was thinking aboriginal studies, it sounds like it would be areally interesting and my school does very well in it usually. Or maybe society and culture.
thanks again!

Laconic

HSC
I'm not sure about subjects like Aboriginal Studies and Society and Culture, to be brutally honest.

Unless you're absolutely, unquestionably guaranteed a late band 5 or band 6 in them via work ethic, talent or otherwise, the scaling isn't flattering and wouldn't do much for the UAI you're after.

Maybe Modern/Ancient history?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lols , like someone about their said , i`d pick a humanity , cos from what you`re saying , i dont think maths is neccessary :p
but yeah .. i`d just pick something i think i`d enjoy =)
good luck & enjoy yr 11 !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)