• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help for time management (1 Viewer)

jessywu

HSC
How can i improve my time management? i always study at the last minute and l am not getting my desired marks. =( When l come back home from school, i keep getting distracted by the computer and then l start doing my homework after dinner and l am always behind in my studying and l can't keep up. How can l stop this bad habit? Should l do exercise just to reduce my stress? but l don't know how to balance my time right. PLZ HELP ME!

Mdzabakly

HSC
How can i improve my time management? i always study at the last minute and l am not getting my desired marks. =( When l come back home from school, i keep getting distracted by the computer and then l start doing my homework after dinner and l am always behind in my studying and l can't keep up. How can l stop this bad habit? Should l do exercise just to reduce my stress? but l don't know how to balance my time right. PLZ HELP ME!
i used to have this problem
in my school life, Previous to the sc last year i think i would have done all my homework, but i never studied... like literally neeeeeever. which is sad cuz id get 70-80 without studying, so i coulda came first in most of my subjects.
every year i was like... This year is gonna be diff, ima study , get high marks, and own everyone else!!!.. ( and ofc that failed within the first week)
then when year 11 came, and i started wanting 2 do med really badly, I actually got down and started working hard. Now ive gone from no study at all, to studying from 1.5-3.5 hours a week, ( without incd hw). at the beginiing of the term i had 2 books for each sub. the first one for school, then when i got home i'd enter all my stuff in note form onto that book, Then i put them into my laptop ( school shit ones XD (one note)). then i started making my sylb dot point notes even from half way through the term for all my subjects.

i think determination is the most important thing, since i wanna do medicine i have 2 work hard, And the results have shown ( 100% in legal topic test, 90% in ancient history) so ive gone from bumbing out and getting in the top 10 or so, to 1st in the class.

Tips for time management...
- write a list of things you want to do today for study, then finish it,
- dont get distracted, and go into a room without computer,
- make your parent put a password and dont let them let you on till youve done about 1 - 2 hours of study
- if your having a hard time, tell yourself, just 5 more minutes, or just 1 more problem, keep doing this, everytime, until you absolutely cannot do anymore work, And every study period increase the amount ( 1 more 1st time, 2nd study period 3 more ...)
- get rid of any distractions, Facebook is important... Just not as important as your education...
- put your phone on silent, and listen to calm music, with no lyrics.
- be determined, have a goal, ( im gonna aim for 80s in my next test, then every test and assignment increase your goal) you will see your progress become faster and faster!!!

qwerty44

HSC
You don't sound stressed if your easily distracted. If you were stressed about school wouldn't you start studying as soon as you get home in fear of failing.

It sounds more like lack of motivation and too much procrastination.

qwerty44

HSC
i used to have this problem
in my school life, Previous to the sc last year i think i would have done all my homework, but i never studied... like literally neeeeeever. which is sad cuz id get 70-80 without studying, so i coulda came first in most of my subjects.
every year i was like... This year is gonna be diff, ima study , get high marks, and own everyone else!!!.. ( and ofc that failed within the first week)
then when year 11 came, and i started wanting 2 do med really badly, I actually got down and started working hard. Now ive gone from no study at all, to studying from 1.5-3.5 hours a week, ( without incd hw). at the beginiing of the term i had 2 books for each sub. the first one for school, then when i got home i'd enter all my stuff in note form onto that book, Then i put them into my laptop ( school shit ones XD (one note)). then i started making my sylb dot point notes even from half way through the term for all my subjects.

i think determination is the most important thing, since i wanna do medicine i have 2 work hard, And the results have shown ( 100% in legal topic test, 90% in ancient history) so ive gone from bumbing out and getting in the top 10 or so, to 1st in the class.

Tips for time management...
- write a list of things you want to do today for study, then finish it,
- dont get distracted, and go into a room without computer,
- make your parent put a password and dont let them let you on till youve done about 1 - 2 hours of study
- if your having a hard time, tell yourself, just 5 more minutes, or just 1 more problem, keep doing this, everytime, until you absolutely cannot do anymore work, And every study period increase the amount ( 1 more 1st time, 2nd study period 3 more ...)
- get rid of any distractions, Facebook is important... Just not as important as your education...
- put your phone on silent, and listen to calm music, with no lyrics.
- be determined, have a goal, ( im gonna aim for 80s in my next test, then every test and assignment increase your goal) you will see your progress become faster and faster!!!
Don't the two highlighted things kind of contradict each other? What if you haven't finished your goals before two hours, then you can jump on the computer.

Mdzabakly

HSC
Don't the two highlighted things kind of contradict each other? What if you haven't finished your goals before two hours, then you can jump on the computer.
well i guess she will have 2 chose between one 0-0 XDD
those are just suggestions, that people have given me so i didnt really proof read them xD

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Use your time effectively.

- Lunch and Recess - You could spend some days at the library.
- Public Transport - Do your work on the bus/train.

Those are some examples.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I had this issue in high school yr11-12. I would just fail to study entirely, except the night before the exam (which just doesn't work the way you wish it would), and I'd spend too much time on fb (don't we all).

That was 3 years ago. Now, I've got waaaaay more motivation cuz I don't want to screw up like I did in yr 11-12, and I'm also more focused. Seriously, I'm getting 90%+ in all of my subjects atm and I haven't gotten that by cramming or choosing fb over study; consistent effort is key here.

What about when you're feeling unmotivated/stressed/tired/whatever? Get over it and do your study anyway.

What if the computer looks so so so so so inviting? Ignore it.

Think about how much harder your life would be if you screwed up your HSC? If you care you will learn about study skills online or from a book, and start implementing the strategies right away. If stress is a huge issue, go see a counsellor. If your study space at home is crap, fix it. If you don't have discipline, get some. These are all small, simple things that will turn your situation around, like it has for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)