• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help Please (1 Viewer)

tom-spin

HSC
I'm closing in on the end of my year 11 journey, soon to delve into the notorious and the (hopefully once in a lifetime) dread of the HSC period.

I am currently doing the following subjects:
3U Maths (doing well, expecting 90+ in HSC)
3U Eng (coming top 5/30)
Adv Eng (top 10/90)
Economics (equal 2/75
Legal Studies (2/31) hating the subject
IPT (3/20) but the cohort for IPT in our year is absolutely appalling apart from 2 or 3 others
1U SoR (equal 1/16)

For year 12 this year (term 4) I was thinking of dropping either legal studies (lost my interest in the subject and also horrible teacher) or IPT (bad cohort and I heard we have major works for year 12?). In compensation for dropping these subjects I want to pick up 4U english and have only 3U math, econ and 1U SoR as my subjects for year 12. Should I just drop one out of IPT and Legal or drop both, come down to 10 units and risk going through the HSC with just 4U eng, 3U maths, econ and 1U SoR??

Thanks in advance!

enoilgam

HSC
With regards to legal and IPT, I'd probably drop legal since you like it the least. Also, Im pretty sure IPT doesnt have a major work, so you might want to double check that to make sure. Going through yr 12 with 10 units is a risk, but you seem to be pretty consistent in all your subjects, which means that you would most probably not need a backup. However, if you want to do 11 units, why dont you consider picking up 4 unit maths? Alternatively, if your worried about the workload of doing 4 unit english and maths, you could drop SOR 1 to give yourself more time.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If I were you, I'd start by dropping the one you most want to drop and tehn seeing how you go. Howeverm if you are really confident in 4U english, 3U maths, eco and 1U SOR, you can drop to 10 units. I'd first drop IPT if the cohort is bad and you are coming 3rd. Though if you truly hate hate legal studies, you should drop that firls, but you are doing better in it than IPT.

Oh and P.S Do you have to keep 1U of Religion?

funnytomato

HSC
If I were you, I'd start by dropping the one you most want to drop and tehn seeing how you go. Howeverm if you are really confident in 4U english, 3U maths, eco and 1U SOR, you can drop to 10 units. I'd first drop IPT if the cohort is bad and you are coming 3rd. Though if you truly hate hate legal studies, you should drop that firls, but you are doing better in it than IPT.
+1

tom-spin

HSC

Oh and P.S Do you have to keep 1U of Religion?
Thanks, and for the record no we don't have to keep religion however I feel pretty solid doing it for year 12 and the scaling for it isn't so bad either right? (not doing it for the scaling)

I think I will most definitely drop legal studies

hpatdh

HSC
drop legal, I think you may be better off with IPT
top it!

enoilgam

HSC
Actually SOR doesnt scale as great as people think. To give you an idea, last year a 90 in SOR scaled less then an 86 in economics. But, you shouldnt really give too much consideration to a subjects scaling when choosing it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Drop legal, because you hate it - and if you want, drop IPT if you're so worried about a major work. I'm not sure if it has one though - go check. Also, bad cohort means automatic 1st place, correct? So... that should be a good thing.

Definitely drop legal - but for the rest... 10 units is acceptable, though somewhat risky - I'd advise always having a back-up subject like IPT for you just in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)