• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP !!wot happens if u Fail!! (1 Viewer)

JenKOK

If I fail a subject, say COMP 1A does it mean dat i can go on n do COMP 1B until i've passed 1A? Does dat mean it will be longer for me to graduate??
And also is it too late to transfer now? Thx a lot!

gman03

HSC
weR1 said:
If I fail a subject, say COMP 1A does it mean dat i can go on n do COMP 1B until i've passed 1A? Does dat mean it will be longer for me to graduate??
And also is it too late to transfer now? Thx a lot!
~~ Relax ~~

Yes, you can't do 1B until you pass 1A.

Now, what you should do is:

* enrol Comp 1A in semester 2. You should be taught by Dr. Manuel M.T. Chakravarty who set relatively easy exams --> high chance of passing.

* do Comp 1B in summer session (Dec 05 - Feb 06).. Again less weeks and less assignment --> need some cramming but a good chance of passing.

* If above works, NO extra year required to graduate (unless you waste your semester 2)

And..... no it is not too late to transfer now, but your transfer wouldn't be ready for next semester.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
weR1 said:
If I fail a subject, say COMP 1A does it mean that i can't go on and do COMP 1B until i've passed 1A? Does that mean it will be longer for me to graduate??
And also is it too late to transfer now? thanks a lot!
according to the handbook for comp1021 (1B), the prerequisite is either COMP1011 or COMP1711
so there is no way you can do 1B unless you have passed 1A.
yes it means that it will take you longer to graduate as you will have to do an extra 6UOC, that is if you choose to repeat it during the main two sessions.
You can however choose to do 1A next semester, and do 1B during the summer session, that is when everyone is on holidays

JenKOK

I see... wot if I do a different subject (ie change my major), how do I do that? Shud I speak to anyone??

btw..thnx guys for ur help.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
would help if you tell us what degree you are doing so we know what faculty you are with

J0n

N/A
HSC
Hmm, I failed a subject last session, and up till now I have been planning to just make it up by doing a subject in summer session.

BUT, now it looks like i'm going to be transfferring to straight 'Computer Science', and I looked at the degree in the handbook, and it says "
Max UOC Per Session: 27". So - does that mean i could do an extra three units of credit this session, and another three session 1 next year to make up instead?

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Hmm well if I think I know what you're saying then no, you can't split a 6unit course in two and then do half now, half later.
However you can try to do a 3unit course that you're supposed to do in the future now, providing you've covered all the prerequisites.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Ah, no - I don't want to "split a 6unit course in two", but rather, instead of repeating the 6uoc course I failed, could I instead do two 3uoc courses (e.g. phys1000 and something else). i.e. could i do something like: phys1000 + 24uoc this semester, and [another 3uoc course] + 24uoc s1 next year? Instead of 24uoc this session and s1 next yr (as normal), and a 6uoc course in summer session.

gman03

HSC
J0n said:
Ah, no - I don't want to "split a 6unit course in two", but rather, instead of repeating the 6uoc course I failed, could I instead do two 3uoc courses (e.g. phys1000 and something else). i.e. could i do something like: phys1000 + 24uoc this semester, and [another 3uoc course] + 24uoc s1 next year? Instead of 24uoc this session and s1 next yr (as normal), and a 6uoc course in summer session.
Eventhought my.unsw allows you to enrol 27uoc, you will still need to contact the school of science to complete any forms if required. What would happen if you don't complete those forms if any? well i dunno but it will be in the form of pain.

J0n

N/A
HSC
gman03 said:
Eventhought my.unsw allows you to enrol 27uoc, you will still need to contact the school of science to complete any forms if required. What would happen if you don't complete those forms if any? well i dunno but it will be in the form of pain.
Well I would have to contact them anyway, since I'm not currently in the 'Computer Science' degree, so when i say "myUNSW says", i just mean the handbook, and I actually can't enroll 27uoc myself currenlty.

BUT, by "filling in forms", that doesn't mean I am overloading, does it? Because I am not over the "max uoc per session" for the degree. Or is there still a chance that they still going to reject my application because it is over the "*typical* uoc per session"?

Anyway, does that mean it is safe to assume that if I am allowed to enroll in 27uoc, then I won't have to go in summer session?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
gman03 said:
Yup. I personally have been to both the science and commerce office in order to see if I can overload, I knew the answer was NO from the start, but it was worth a try. I'm am trying a last ditch effort to overload 6UOC.

Edit: last ditch effort is outside the official lines.

gman03

HSC
J0n said:
Well I would have to contact them anyway, since I'm not currently in the 'Computer Science' degree, so when i say "myUNSW says", i just mean the handbook, and I actually can't enroll 27uoc myself currenlty.

BUT, by "filling in forms", that doesn't mean I am overloading, does it? Because I am not over the "max uoc per session" for the degree. Or is there still a chance that they still going to reject my application because it is over the "*typical* uoc per session"?
I would say that for most degree the "Virtual Handbook" has it would say "Min 3 Max 27". Despite that for Elec Eng I still have to submit form only for 27uoc.... so for them "over 24 = over load"...Also I know people who do 30uoc anyway, which is over the "max" so do speak.... Now i'm not sure how the school of science works, so you will need to see/talk to them...

J0n said:
Anyway, does that mean it is safe to assume that if I am allowed to enroll in 27uoc, then I won't have to go in summer session?
Safe?!?!? um.... i can't answer this subjective question, sorry.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Hm, ok looks like I'm going to have to talk to them myself.

Safe?!?!? um.... I can't answer this subjective question, sorry.
lol, sorry - I meant "providing I work hard and don't fail any subjects in the next two sessions ...".

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
Yup. I personally have been to both the science and commerce office in order to see if I can overload, I knew the answer was NO from the start, but it was worth a try. I'm am trying a last ditch effort to overload 6UOC.

Edit: last ditch effort is outside the official lines.
How come Affinity can overload so easily? He's going for 36uoc this semester. Do you think its because some Schools are more flexible than others (eg. Maths)?

I want to overload some postgrad subjects from both Finance and Maths. Hope I don't have too much trouble in doing so; in the past the Finance/Mathematics degree recommended doing postgrad subjects!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
§eraphim said:
How come Affinity can overload so easily? He's going for 36uoc this semester. Do you think its because some Schools are more flexible than others (eg. Maths)?
I think the Maths people are nice, or they want more people doing maths. The other schools, I daresay, do not take so easily to overloading students. And besides, you can't compare me to Affinity, I'm somewhat lacking:D.

The science office refuses to touch us, since we belong to Commerce/Science. Fair enough. And the commerce people are particularly tight on overloading. I've approached the BEES school personally, and so far they haven't said no(which is good).. I'm doing what you said- wow-ing them with my academic statement:D.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
The science office refuses to touch us, since we belong to Commerce/Science. Fair enough. And the commerce people are particularly tight on overloading. I've approached the BEES school personally, and so far they haven't said no(which is good).. I'm doing what you said- wow-ing them with my academic statement:D.
What does the Science Student Office have against combined degree students??? Is it coz we aint "pure" Science students? (thats bigotry, that is! :mad: :D )

Continue wow-ing them; persistence will pay off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)