• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
What does it mean, assess the reliability of a source? I was reading the hsc from last year and never actually knew what it meant? Detailed explanation please, thanks in advance.

casualcomedy

HSC
Assess

The answer is -
Look for it's weaknesses and strenghts, dates when it was published, what type of source is it ie primary or secondary, look for bias and perspective, to see how reliable the source. Whether the source has credability and why.

kirabolton

HSC
yeah exactly! mmhmmm i am posting this for no real reason. So sort of look at the W's...where? why? when? what? who?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Well in my last modern assessment I did.

Some questions you need to ask yourself when assessing the source is:

1. is the source complete or incomplete?
2. Does the source contain accurate info?
3. Is it factual? Does it make it reliable? If not, how is it unreliable?
4. In what way is the source limited? Does it lack clarity, detail and understanding?
5. In what way is it biased? Is it propaganda or not?
6. Do other sources contradict it or not?
7. Do other sources corroborate, or support, it or not?
8. For what is the source reliable? For what is it unreliable.

Then when you've covered that in atleast one page go on about the usefulness. There's heaps to cover in one page! esp the context of the source and you may be asked to compare it with another source.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
that pretty much sums it up. we were taught to look at five things - origin, motive, content, audience and perspective (which initially seemed more like english but after a while you get the hang of it). that was also the explanation in the textbooks we had.
2 pages sometimes isnt enough, particularly if the source is propaganda :) with practice, in the hsc you'll probably find you have too much to say esp with the time constraints

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
We were taught.. lets see if I can remember this... Origin, Usefullness, Reliablity, Motive, Audience, Context. I could never use only two pages for this and ALWAYS spilled over into writing booklets! There is actually alot to say there when you deconstruct a source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)