• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hi people, i'm new to the forum and about to start year 11. (1 Viewer)

Falcon21

HSC
Im going to begin year 11 soon, and I want more knowledge about my chosen subjects before finalising my decision.

Something like an extensive course/subject(s) overview?

Having looked for some sort of thread going over subjects with more info about the subjects than provided on my course overview sheet and having no sucess in finding any as yet, Im making this message in hope somebody could point me to somthing which im looking for.

I want more info on my topics, which consist of;

Advanced English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Physics
Biology
Visual Arts

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ppl.

Last edited:

datAsianGuy

over school
HSC
bro.... man.... sit down and take a bex. Gosh!!! its only yr 11. my only advice for you is to stay ontop of your work and learn your gear so you dont have to ask for as much help when you get to yr 12. Your subjects are a good choice..... I wouldnt exatcly choose them though..... depends on how your school is... Just relax man, dont burn yourself out before you even get there, but dont be such a dumbarse that when the crunch comes, you dont know wtf to do... good luck.... member: RELAX

HSC
- If you did advanced maths in year 10 and went alright, I recommend you do 2u maths, otherwise you'll find general maths relatively easy
- Business studies has A L O T of theory, best way to handle this without stressing prior a BS Exam is to study the course ahead, so you're taught it twice, that way you remember it easier

nwatts

HSC
You'll find year 11 is very similar to year 12, if about half the work-load. If you browse through the subject forums, found as a list here, you'll get a good impression of what each subject is like, and will often find a few tips as to maximising your potential. I've just finished english advanced and (almost) visual arts, so feel free to drop me a PM if you've got any specific questions about either of the courses.

I'd advise, though, to try to enjoy year 11 as much as you can. Year 12 is a hell of a lot more work, and is far more stressful. It's better if you work through year 11 with the attuitude that you're at school to learn, but to enjoy yourself, as you'll find yourself refreshed and ready to study hard for a full year. The last thing you want to be doing is starting off year 12 stressed and burnt out from the effort you've put into your year 11 work.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
datAsianGuy said:
bro.... man.... sit down and take a bex. Gosh!!! its only yr 11. my only advice for you is to stay ontop of your work and learn your gear so you dont have to ask for as much help when you get to yr 12. Your subjects are a good choice..... I wouldnt exatcly choose them though..... depends on how your school is... Just relax man, dont burn yourself out before you even get there, but dont be such a dumbarse that when the crunch comes, you dont know wtf to do... good luck.... member: RELAX

Well you need to get your year 11 subject choices correct, as those are the subjects you are going to do for the HSC too.

Look at textbooks, syllabus, etc

Best is to ask teachers or find a year 11 or 12 student you know and ask them how they found the course and to give you a bit of info.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Physics isn't Physics. It's more like a humanities loosely based around a mathematical /scientific course

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Falcon21 said:
Im going to begin year 11 soon, and I want more knowledge about my chosen subjects before finalising my decision.

Having looked for some sort of thread going over subjects with more info about the subjects than provided on my course overview sheet and having no sucess in finding any as yet, Im making this message in hope somebody could point me to somthing which im looking for.

Advanced English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Physics
Biology
Visual Arts

Thanks ppl.
Biology is fun and interesting choose it, you won't regret it

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kadlil said:
Biology is fun and interesting choose it, you won't regret it
^ he speaks the truth. Advanced English is also good :D and if you like it enough, do extension. It's great. I don't know enough about your other subjects to help you out, except to say good luck...and yes, relax. just stay on top of the work and you'll do fine.

klaw

HSC
Falcon21 said:

Advanced English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Physics
Biology
Visual Arts

Thanks ppl.
Physics can be very very very very confusing at times, especially if you're behind

Riviet

HSC
N/A
To do well in physics, you need to understand the concepts in order to remember them well. Advanced english is a genuine choice if you're all rounded at english and maths general should only be undertaken if you're struggling with maths, i would suggest you take 2 unit maths.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
- If you did advanced maths in year 10 and went alright, I recommend you do 2u maths, otherwise you'll find general maths relatively easy
- Business studies has A L O T of theory, best way to handle this without stressing prior a BS Exam is to study the course ahead, so you're taught it twice, that way you remember it easier
i believe business is more common sense, like what to do in situations, best way to get a product known etc ... this is relating to exam questions ! but yeah to know the questions, you have to know the theory, but i dont find theres that much..

anyways its a pretty simple subject, as long as you enjoy it ...

Last edited:

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
I agree with Riviet, try 2 unit maths first. If you cant cope with it, then drop down to general. It is hard to move from general maths to 2 unit after yr 11.

If you stick with general maths and do physics, I suggest you not to do physics. Instead do chemistry. Less numbers because the calculations in phys get pretty ugly (for me that is).

Why not try economics? Seeing that you will take business studies. The scaling is similar to physics.

Make my day

HSC
hey dude, just finito yr 11, its fully cruisy and nothing counts (except the expeirence in exams and time managment crap for assesments n stuff) uhh... from the list of subjects U were lookin at i could only speak on the Visual Art one...

Art is cool if you have a fairly good background on the frames and your strong in independant art practise...

Having a good teacher will help... ask around ... it makes all the diff...

if your keen on history then the theory side shouldnt be too much of a burden...

happy days

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Make my day said:
hey dude, just finito yr 11, its fully cruisy and nothing counts (except the expeirence in exams and time managment crap for assesments n stuff) uhh... from the list of subjects U were lookin at i could only speak on the Visual Art one...

Art is cool if you have a fairly good background on the frames and your strong in independant art practise...

Having a good teacher will help... ask around ... it makes all the diff...

if your keen on history then the theory side shouldnt be too much of a burden...

happy days
its not really cruisy, i found it quite stressful at times esp the workload. and a lot of skills from yr11 pick up onto yr12, so you should still try to get the best possible mark you can

Falcon21

HSC
Hi people

Hey all, thanks very much for your advice. Its really opening my eyes.

Iv decided to stick with my subjects, but im thinking il do 2 unit maths.
The reason why im a little unsure of myself is beacuse its been years since iv done real study.

Too rusty for my own good, but id LOVE to get back on track, im just hoping there will be a tutorial of most of the exercises and tasks first.

Thank you all for the support and for your time in helping me through what could be the most important decision in my life. :)

Thanks

nwatts

HSC
Falcon21 said:
Thank you all for the support and for your time in helping me through what could be the most important decision in my life. :)
If you think like that you'll have the worst two years of your life. Chosing subjects for the HSC is a big step, but it is no where near the most important decision of your life. Try finding someone to marry. (Who is not a boser).

Falcon21

HSC
nwatts said:
If you think like that you'll have the worst two years of your life. Chosing subjects for the HSC is a big step, but it is no where near the most important decision of your life. Try finding someone to marry. (Who is not a boser).

Look mate, you obviously havnt realised what study is.
Yes its a big step, but in my eyes its the next 12 steps, and i cant skip them.
I dont need a wife, nor do i need your bullshit comments.

Im trying to show appreciation for somthing given to me which i dont deserve or anything. So please try understanding that and refrain from causing an argument between us. wat do you say. Have a nice day.

nwatts

HSC
Falcon21 said:
Look mate, you obviously havnt realised what study is.
Yes its a big step, but in my eyes its the next 12 steps, and i cant skip them.
I dont need a wife, nor do i need your bullshit comments.

Im trying to show appreciation for somthing given to me which i dont deserve or anything. So please try understanding that and refrain from causing an argument between us. wat do you say. Have a nice day.
I say, chill out. :) I realise what study is, I've just been through the HSC. ;)

Showing an appreciation for your education is different to obsessing over it. I can tell you now that if you go into the next two years believing that this is the most important aspect of your entire life, I'm afraid you'll find yourself burnt out and unhappy very quickly.

Your plans for the future will also very likely change between now and the end of year 12, as they do for the vast majority of people, so I encourage you to spend this next two years discovering your passions and enjoying yourself so you can find a career/post-HSC path that suits you.

Also refrain from labelling my comments "bullshit", especially considering most HSC/Uni students on BOS will agree that year 11/12 is a time to try and enjoy. There is nothing stopping you enjoying your education and attaining high marks

Falcon21

HSC
nwatts said:
I say, chill out. :) I realise what study is, I've just been through the HSC. ;)

Showing an appreciation for your education is different to obsessing over it. I can tell you now that if you go into the next two years believing that this is the most important aspect of your entire life, I'm afraid you'll find yourself burnt out and unhappy very quickly.

Your plans for the future will also very likely change between now and the end of year 12, as they do for the vast majority of people, so I encourage you to spend this next two years discovering your passions and enjoying yourself so you can find a career/post-HSC path that suits you.

Also refrain from labelling my comments "bullshit", especially considering most HSC/Uni students on BOS will agree that year 11/12 is a time to try and enjoy. There is nothing stopping you enjoying your education and attaining high marks
Yeah im chilled :) Thanks for your imput anyway.
So how was it? Did you enjoy it and what topics did you choose??

Yeah I realise what your saying and sorry for misunderstanding you.

Thanks very much for your words :)
Dojan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)