• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How can I improve my "people skills"? (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
Hey guysss, I went for a sales marketing job lately and I gotta say it was pretty hard.. I just can't do it like yea... I just can't relate to the customers.

It got me thinking, "people skills" are really a must have in any job or in life, I reckon since almost all job involves interacting with different people.

can anyone suggest tips or guidelines I can follow so that I can eventually learn it over time?

no smart ass comments, thanks

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
jannny said:
Hey guysss, I went for a sales marketing job lately and I gotta say it was pretty hard.. I just can't do it like yea... I just can't relate to the customers.

It got me thinking, "people skills" are really a must have in any job or in life, I reckon since almost all job involves interacting with different people.

can anyone suggest tips or guidelines I can follow so that I can eventually learn it over time?

1st rule = stay calm (don't shake or b nevous; it'll ruin ur tone of voice)
2nd rule = b polite (e.g. thankyou for coming, pardon, sorry wat was that)
3rd = make them seem invited ( how r u today, good morning)

Stay smooth >>>practice = talk to friends
dw u get better as u continue ur job:wave:

OliverQ

HSC
do some volunteer things

like fun run or charity ones

and meet new people...

-tal-

HSC
jannny said:

Are you meaning that dealing with the actual people is hard/unenjoyable/tiring or that you aren't understanding them?

If it's the former, plaster a small smile/smirk on your face when making eye contact or something. Be playful, polite and keep questions short and to the point and magically people loosen up around you; which makes dealing with them so much more easier.

If it's the latter, ask the person to clarify their meaning. It's of the utmost importance that you don't do this clarifying part too polite (playful is the key here) - it sets the stage for frustration, and anger, which will ensue if you don't get it after a few times. Ask them to clarify, but put it this way "is it this.... or that?" Not too much thinking I'd say, which makes dealing with them that much easier.

rochelleee

HSC
the obvious answer, i guess: meet lots of new people.

join some youth group.. or better yet get a job or get work experience in retail. i know that after i got a job it was alot easier for me to walk up to randoms :D lol.

oh yeah, and BE YOURSELF. dont sound fake or anything. like if you're casual and smile alot you'll seem tonnes more welcoming for the customer.

yeah. thats all from me, idk if that helps but anyway.

HSC
Be genuine. LISTEN to people rather than just waiting for your turn to speak. Pay attention to your body language, having crossed arms and shifty eyes will just show how nervous or uncomfortable you are.

born2b

HSC
jannny said:

Talkativeness really helps in this area- and talking like u knew the person for years on the first meeting is what gets you the job and helps in the job...

no nervousness and your voice should sound smooth as anything not as if you are nervous talking.. and just the basics.. talking to a customer properly etc. how u doing etc. how was ur day and smiling..

even if u feel like killing them

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
When i read you thread. my first advise was get a marketing job. but since your problem is in marketing job, i'm not sure.

well friend told me how it has made him such a pro at picking up chicks lOl. he did this marketing job, which has no base salary so you got to sell this stupid car wax to people and you earn your money from there. so if you dont sell you got to learn or uill be there for a whole day and make like 20 buks which is how much he was earning at the start then got it to 80.

hes first step he said was this
approaching

say hey hows he going, hey can i take a sec of your time
they say some shit..then
you say oh so what did you 2day, how was your day today,
i cant be bothered explaining anymore

just relate question man
talk abit about yourself like oh yeah i did that and then ask a relate question...
continue conversation blha blah blah...i got my essay 2 do now...

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
btw really associate yourself with people who are outgoing poeple or whatever make sure you feel comfortable to be able to speak your mind. one thing i hate is feel self concious.

dont stick to your loser friends man farrrr. your UNI go fckin party...

tlodg

HSC
N/A
1. if you're the type of person who looks pissed off when you do not smile then try to smile more. Sometimes when I don't smile (but ain't sad) people ask me "hey, are you ok? you look sad (they don't dare to say I look pissed so they say "sad")" and that's when I really wish I can naturally look more friendly. But I can change by smiling. A smile can change things because a person might have never striked up a conversation with you if you haven't smiled and showed friendliness through it initially.

2. don't take everything too personally. one thing that makes people even shyer is that they care a lot about every single thing other people say/do. the more they care, the harder they hide and refuse to open up. trust me, people can tell whether you are an open person or closed up because you are scared of being hurt. i'm not saying u necessarily are like this, it's just that some people find it hard to open up and communicate freely with others for these reasons. as you mingle with more people, u're more likely to meet difficult people and if u show that ur angry with them a lot..even if ur "right" and they are "wrong" (i used quotation marks because sometimes it's not anyone's fault and whether one is "right" or "wrong" isn't always 100% certain, it depends on the perspective ur coming from and how much u know/don't know) u may still be blamed, sad eventually because people usually side with the person who isn't as angry in an argument. The more "violent" person (verbally violent) usually gets the blame REGARDLESS of what actually aggravated the "disagreement". Remember..show respect but that doesn't mean sucking up to people too much. You won't be respected if you suck up too much.

jannny

HSC
awesome replies I didnt expect this, and haha drink more?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: How can I improve my "people skills"?

Learn to control your body language, you want to give an aura of confidence and fun (outgoing?). Don't cross your arms, that seems defensive, don't cross your legs, that's also defensive. Roll your shoulder back with your chest forward (not like a douche, but you get the idea). Stand up stall and straight, arms to the side (don't put it in your pocket) and your chin should be up.

Your speech should be slow (not turtle slow, just not quick -> hesitant) and deep. Avoid using uhmmm's/uhhhs.

Dress up tidy and clean, well-groomed and use cologne/deo.

A good way to improve your social skills is by just dedicating a day talking to random people off the street.

Start off small, soemthing like "hey excuse me, would you happen to know the time? (obviously without wearing a watch, otherwise thatd just be weird)" or if you're waiting in line for food or whatever "hey i was thinking of trying [this], have you ever tried it?, is it good? etc etc.".

You can then pick it up to the point where you're out shopping and asking for opinions from random males (?) or females.

The hardest thing is overcoming anxiety, if that is abolished, just being yourself will suffice to any kind of person (unless you're by nature a huge asshole).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: How can I improve my "people skills"?

UnattendedBag said:
anything but this.
Minus the troll -

Would you like to suggest specific ways to get over anxiety and be "better" with people?

inb4 "just talk to other pepz n lyk meet new pplz n den ull get used 2 itz"

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: How can I improve my "people skills"?

tommykins said:
Learn to control your body language, you want to give an aura of confidence and fun (outgoing?). Don't cross your arms, that seems defensive, don't cross your legs, that's also defensive. Roll your shoulder back with your chest forward (not like a douche, but you get the idea). Stand up stall and straight, arms to the side (don't put it in your pocket) and your chin should be up.

Your speech should be slow (not turtle slow, just not quick -> hesitant) and deep. Avoid using uhmmm's/uhhhs.

Dress up tidy and clean, well-groomed and use cologne/deo.

A good way to improve your social skills is by just dedicating a day talking to random people off the street.

Start off small, soemthing like "hey excuse me, would you happen to know the time? (obviously without wearing a watch, otherwise thatd just be weird)" or if you're waiting in line for food or whatever "hey i was thinking of trying [this], have you ever tried it?, is it good? etc etc.".

You can then pick it up to the point where you're out shopping and asking for opinions from random males (?) or females.

The hardest thing is overcoming anxiety, if that is abolished, just being yourself will suffice to any kind of person (unless you're by nature a huge asshole).
You seriously give some of the worst fucking advice on this forum sometimes. Something about the way you posts makes me think you would be such a loser in the real world.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
You're entitled to your opinion.

But hey, how would you suggest he go out and improve his people skills?

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
What's a troll?
Seriously...

tommykins has some great advice though. Hey, at least he's made an effort :D

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
drink more.

(no joke)
always smile and have a positive tone of voice. when asking questions, don't ask anything too specific/ invasive/ potentially offensive. also remember it's a conversation so have an input yourself. don't show that you're overly nervous/ anxious. people are usually more tolerent when they can see that you're doing your best and making an effort.

born2b said:
Talkativeness really helps in this area- and talking like u knew the person for years on the first meeting is what gets you the job and helps in the job...
master this and you're set. takes time but you'll get better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)