• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How confident do you have to be to do English Ext 1?? (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
Recently I have found that I have a large interest in English and am considering doing Ext 1. I believe that it is now my favourite subject and I usually get around 26/30 for my written work and score pretty highly in speeches. Any advice or information would be much appreciated, thank you.

speedofsound

HSC
If you've worked consistently all year round in English and have a passion for the subject, I think you should be right.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
Recently I have found that I have a large interest in English and am considering doing Ext 1. I believe that it is now my favourite subject and I usually get around 26/30 for my written work and score pretty highly in speeches. Any advice or information would be much appreciated, thank you.
Do it!

its not that its really that much more difficult, you just actually use you're brain instead of regurgitating shithouse techniques.

you learn about shit like existentialism and things like that, its very concept based, i think you should do it =]

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
What about doing both Ext.1 Maths AND Ext 1. English, is the workload too much?

MissGiggles

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Do it!

its not that its really that much more difficult, you just actually use you're brain instead of regurgitating shithouse techniques.

you learn about shit like existentialism and things like that, its very concept based, i think you should do it =]
regurgitating shit is good because you know exactly what to give the teachers. i hate creative writing tasks because the marking's completely opinionated ("subjective" my mother tells me). im doing extension english because i know my mum is good at it so she can help me get good marks, but add my chemistry and extension maths and i think im gonna go crazy. wish religion wasn't compulsory at our school but i think i can scrape good marks if i stay awake through it.im not gonna worry about the double extension workload ;)

suzlee

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
What about doing both Ext.1 Maths AND Ext 1. English, is the workload too much?

Quite a few people I know are doing that. I don't think the work would be at killer-level... at all.
If you really love both subjects then I don't see why you shouldn't do both extensions :)

Miffstaa

HSC
hollyy. said:
eng ext 1 is easy :)
adv is hard.
agreed.

with ext 1 its basically doing a whole topic for one year- meaning that by the end of it, you'll already know so much. year 12 (hsc) you just prepare one creative and prepare texts for the essay. so much easier than learning the six things for adv. english.
just know how to adapt things to certain questions, CONTEXT, values and try to develop your own ideas.
if you have fun with it the better you'll go.

and if you love ext 1, do ext 2 for year 12. Best course ever!!

suzlee

HSC
Miffstaa said:
agreed.

with ext 1 its basically doing a whole topic for one year- meaning that by the end of it, you'll already know so much. year 12 (hsc) you just prepare one creative and prepare texts for the essay. so much easier than learning the six things for adv. english.
just know how to adapt things to certain questions, CONTEXT, values and try to develop your own ideas.

Your sig explains it :(

jennieTalia

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
Go for it. It's fun, in depth... and a lot of independent research if that's what you like :)

suzlee

HSC
Miffstaa said:
my sig contains all the hsc exams that i am dying to finish.

ext 2 has been finished for over two months.

oh I was just sort assuming you were a 'humanity' person :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Miffstaa said:
agreed.

Sounds brilliant :D

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Miffstaa said:
agreed.

Yay that's what i'm doing :spam:

studentcheese

HSC
Heaps of people are doing English Extension 1 + Mathematics Extension 1. It shouldnt be too bad :) With English Extension 1, do it. I heard it has the best texts out of the English courses.

Zippora

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Do it!

maybe in your elective you learn about that, you dont at all in mine

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
you'd have to be getting resonably good marks like yours, so you should be okay. it sure as hell takes the training wheels off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)