• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How did you stay motivated for 12 months? (1 Viewer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
The fact that my mum took out a loan to pay the school fees at my "Good Catholic School" sort of laid on the guilt motivation.
Oh, and the need to beat my elder sister (Which I did) helped too.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-

ic
well i took it easy thru high skool, and just did my homework. I always got the feeling that skool was like a soccer match and if u burn too hard at the start ur opponent will score later because you are too tired. Although I do regret the fact that yr7-9 maths was so easy and i really shouldve worked ahead on my own.
i took year seven to nine too easily and really bludged ... then i started studying and working hard for year ten and saw that it came to nothing ... and was too burnt out ... year eleven was a shocker ... and year twelve is like a lifetime ago ...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

i took year seven to nine too easily and really bludged ... then i started studying and working hard for year ten and saw that it came to nothing ... and was too burnt out ... year eleven was a shocker ... and year twelve is like a lifetime ago ...
I didnt' work hard right from 7-10... Didnt' work really hard in 11 either. Time to release the breaks I think...

Ducky

I wasn't that motivated..i didnt write my goals or anything anywhere..i did write up a timetable which made me do 30+ hours of study a week (i gave up after the first week..totalling 5 hrs) hehe

but i don't think aynone can stay motivated for 12 months. just relax and study in moderation!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
hmmmmm, motivation.

years 7-10 just cruised through, but i did pick up a bit around the school certificate exams.

year 11: started working properly. did homework in all my free periods, as much work and study as possible before dinner, that sort of thing.

year 12: more of the same, but less intense, i suppose i was burnt out or something... but it wasn't too bad. take it easy, don't drop everything for the sake of study (but by the same standards, now wouldn't be the best time to pick up another shift at work or join 3 new sport teams :)), and just take stuff a few things at a time: "ok, i have a chemistry assesment next wednesay, an art essay due on friday, and a maths topic test next thursday" -- i broke stuff up into little chunks of a few weeks each (but towards exams, look ahead and study in advance)

that's all i can think of at the moment... it didn't always work for me, eg at one stage i was seriously demotivated in art for 2-3 weeks.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Well... I didn't do very well at the start of year 12. Think I just got tired of it for a while and didn't care much. So no help there.

But near the end, when I thought seriously of organising the primary reunion, I wanted to salvage my reputation for my old mates in primary school. They'd be so dissapointed if I just didn't put in the effort.

I studied in moderation, a bit a day, until before the exams when I did lots.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Right, not many of you people are giving IQ useful advice. :p

Not that I'm going to.. but I was just making an observation! :uhhuh:

Generally what will keep you motivated is enjoying what you're learning.. once you start feeling like you're drowning you'll panic and then you won't enjoy it and then you'll panic and then you won't want to do it. :mad1:

Keep doing other things.. like sport, going out with friends, listening to music/going to concerts.. perhaps in moderation if you're used to doing it a lot! It's so true that all work and no play makes jack die young.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Right, not many of you people are giving IQ useful advice. :p

Not that I'm going to.. but I was just making an observation! :uhhuh:

Generally what will keep you motivated is enjoying what you're learning.. once you start feeling like you're drowning you'll panic and then you won't enjoy it and then you'll panic and then you won't want to do it. :mad1:

Keep doing other things.. like sport, going out with friends, listening to music/going to concerts.. perhaps in moderation if you're used to doing it a lot! It's so true that all work and no play makes jack die young.
Thanx anti :p
If I go out & do other things .. it's all well and good at the time because I really want to .. then later it's "I shouldn't have gone, I could've done heaps". Stupid conscience

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I think a major factor is your school envirnoment. If you like your subjects, your teachers and the whole atmosphere of your school then it becomes much easier to be motivated. Have a goal to reach or something like the UAI needed for a certain course you like or some friendly rivalry with friends.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zannaz
I think a major factor is your school envirnoment. If you like your subjects, your teachers and the whole atmosphere of your school then it becomes much easier to be motivated.
yes, but there arent many such environments ...:(

it's easy to stay motivated think of want ur family would think of u if u went bad in the hsc- no one talk bout you.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
it's easy to stay motivated think of want ur family would think of u if u went bad in the hsc- no one talk bout you.
i dont think that is a motivator.....jus extra pressure. if ur good enough u can use that for urselves, but more often than not it gets hard to motivate urself wen all u hear is, "what r u going to do if u go bad in ur hsc??" and stuff lyk dat from ur parents.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Motivation 1: Get dux, get car.

Motivation 2: Do well, never see all-boys school again.

Motivation 3: Do well, get into uni course you acually like.

Motivation 4: Beat the footballer's you hate at your school.

Ac :p

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Lord Ac
Motivation 1: Get dux, get car.

Motivation 2: Do well, never see all-boys school again.

Motivation 3: Do well, get into uni course you acually like.

Motivation 4: Beat the footballer's you hate at your school.

Ac :p
i am sure u would want to have something there which says u can visit ur favourite teachers and thank them for their help....or vice verse let them know wat u really think if u get low marks. (ie- campbel.....i know i know u had him in yr11 but dont let that stop u)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
there not much of a family, if they only value you, when you do good in the hsc!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by jessika

there not much of a family, if they only value you, when you do good in the hsc!
That's true... I think my parents would be disappointed if I didn't get 95+ even but they wouldn't devalue me or something or appreciate me less. But I guess by disappointing them I'd devalue myself or something :p

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

But I guess by disappointing them I'd devalue myself or something :p
it is a loose-loose situation, so pack ur bags and study lyk crazy, no going out, study atleast 6 hours a day, on weekends even more......yeh rite!!!

parents r going to be like that, well most of them anyway. so i guess it is up to us to handle it. if u feel such pressure from ur parents u should try to ignore it, u know wats best, if u fail that is entirely ur fault. ur main focus should be studying well, not contemplating whether ur parents r going to be happy wid ur mark.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jessika
that is more so in the asian culture ... they think that hsc is equivalent to success in future life or something ... but thats cultural difference ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)