• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how do i find out what textbooks i need? (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, ive been looking on the uni union site, and ive found some second hand books that i may need, but i dont know if i will need them or not
is there a site that i can put in my subjects and it will spew out the names of textbooks i need?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Try the coop bookstore website for your uni, or the individual website of your subject - sometimes the lecturer puts them up. I don't recommend getting textbooks so early, you might not even need them at all. Wait and see what the lecturer has to say about textbooks.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
oh ok...will there still be plenty of 2nd hand books around then? coz i dont really wanna spend heaps on new books coz i want to transfer to a diff. degree after first yr...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Usually not at the 2nd handbook store though :(

You can always hunt around from 2nd years that are selling their books though - they might post "for sale" thingos on notice boards etc

Honestly, textbooks are overrated in uni :) Most of the time the lecture material comes from the textbook so you won't go to the textbook anyway - even then you might not bother reading through the textbook. But sometimes - the textbook is actually need when it is used alot in the course.

From experience, I bought two textbooks I haven't touched.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha ok. im planning on having like no life for first year, i need to do really well to transfer, so i am going to need to read the textbooks over and over..and over
well thats the plan anyway, prob wont happen that way...;)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'd say wait till the first lecture for the subject to find out what textbooks you will need. if its a different lecturer from last year, he/she might have changed the prescribed text and you don't wanna go buying an old textbook if its not the one they are going to be using...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, so basically the general consensus is to wait?
ok thats what ill do

hey jlh, how did u get custom status?

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Hipsta, go to UserCP, and then to edit profile. One of the options down the page is your title thingy. :)

lmao... i think it's funny that you wanna transfer out of science at Newie, while I want to transfer into it. I got stuck with crappy Information Tech... :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by great_gregory
Hipsta, go to UserCP, and then to edit profile. One of the options down the page is your title thingy. :)
nah, that only works if you joined before dec 2002 or have 3000+ posts or are a mod, which jlh has none

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Wow, sorry Jess...

lmao... I didn't even know that i'd already joined this board over a year ago, till I tried to register again this morning. I'm a newbie, but i'm not... :p

:rolleyes:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
actually just go what great_gregory (great name BTW.. hahaha) said....

thats all i did!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)