• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do people study IPT? (1 Viewer)

Morgues

Its pretty obvious knowing the text book inside out wont help you much
For example I think most peoples marks wouldnt increase greatly even if IPT was an open book text
Does anyone have any technique for getting the most marks out of the scenario questions

yeah, its pretty hard, ive found that the stuff i learned best was just listening in class and paying attention. then i suppose youre stuffed if youve got a crap teacher.

with scenarios i just imagine im physically doing the task and write down any issues i come up against or try and think of ways to foil the system. theres not really much you can do but in your answer always be specific

Nelly

I just try to remember the key points in the textbook, and then expand on them in in the exam. It's really hard trying to figure out what is going to be asked, but after doing a bunch of questions, you slowly get the gist of the style of questions they asl for that module.

Altogether, it's a bit hard to study for this course, and you're right about the open-book part, but it slowly comes to you.

Nelly

I just try to remember the key points in the textbook, and then expand on them in in the exam. It's really hard trying to figure out what is going to be asked, but after doing a bunch of questions, you slowly get the gist of the style of questions they asl for that module.

Altogether, it's a bit hard to study for this course, and you're right about the open-book part, but it slowly comes to you.

Good Luck

Alex

I personally believe it takes a certain type of person to answer IPT questions. Like in 4u Maths it takes people with a love or skill of mathematical processing to do it and do it well. It all comes down to the individual. If you know your book backwards there is no reason why you shouldnt get quite decent marks. Make sure you know the social and ethical issues very well and you should do fine.

Nelly

Even though it does sound incredibly crazy, yes, you do need a love for 4U math to do well in it (except for the freaks). I'm not sure if it's the same with IPT though?

Morgues

But look at IPT past papers
even with a open text book i am still relatively guessing the answer because the questions are so twisted
and what kind of a person does it take to do well in IPT? Probably someone who hasn't done an immoral thing in their life

Nelly

True True, it is really hard to study for it. But you just need to get the different resources, and you will evenytually pick up the style of every question. What has been ur marks so far in IPT?

T

timbk2

Originally posted by Morgues
But look at IPT past papers
even with a open text book i am still relatively guessing the answer because the questions are so twisted
and what kind of a person does it take to do well in IPT? Probably someone who hasn't done an immoral thing in their life
someone who doesnt have a single pirated cd in their house.

Morgues

Originally posted by Nelly
True True, it is really hard to study for it. But you just need to get the different resources, and you will evenytually pick up the style of every question. What has been ur marks so far in IPT?
in tests about 60%-70%

and what case studies?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I did quite a few practice papers and papers from other schools. True, the questions are twisted, which is why you should use your reading time to your advantage.

Nelly

Yeah, the only thing that you can do to improve the marks (if you already know the work) is to just keep doing trial papers. Then you will be able to get the jist of virtually every question

Nelly

We've only had 2 'exams' and 1 report so far. In the exam last december worth 5% i got 36/40 (only multimedia, so it was piss easy). And for the 1/2 yearly worth 30% I got 53/60, which was 3rd in the class. However, we are yet to be examined on ANY of the 3 option topics. the 1/2 yearly was only multimedia and project work.

For the trial, I'm 'planning' to do most of the questions for IPT that I can get my hands on. However, time is restricting this idea. Maybe less time spent here :p

Morgues

53/60 was 3rd?

Either your ones are easy or everyone at my school is stupid cause only 2 or 3 people get over 40/60 in my school with the highest being 45

Nelly

OK, the person who came first is insane. He studies 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. He got 56/60
Then 2nd got 53.5, so it's not that bad. Most people got around 45

Last edited:

Morgues

Are yours hsc standard? Is it mostly social and ethical issues or definitions?

Just wondering because in the tests we done it is virtually impossible to get over 75% let alone 85%.......ipt nerd or not, most people get around 50%

Last edited:

dansnation

our half yearlys average was barely a pass..

with regards on how to study: i think u DO need to know the text book if ur going to have any understanding of the course. You need to know the components of different types of systems, but more importantly how to put them to use, their benefits, ethical issues shit like that which ull come across in an exam..

Apparently, where a lot of students have gone wrong in previous years, isnt so much what they dont know, its how they answer the question.. we were told to know all the words like define, analyse, describe, and REALLY KNOW EM, cos thats where heaps of people lost marks..

i

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)