• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do schools estimate trials? (1 Viewer)

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
Ive been very sick due to recurring illness, and havent been able to go to school for the past 2weeks and resultingly didnt do my trials. I have provided documented evidence of my illness, and the school told me that they will estimate the marks for my trials. How does this work?
When i asked them how they will estimate it, they said that its very complicated and its a formula set by the Board of studies. Does anyone have any idea as to how this estimation process is carried out?
:confused:

michael1990

HSC
I'm not sure.
But if i was in your situation. I would be asking what the formula is. As you would rather do the trials then have an estimation that will not be acturate.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ALGALELE said:
Ive been very sick due to recurring illness, and havent been able to go to school for the past 2weeks and resultingly didnt do my trials. I have provided documented evidence of my illness, and the school told me that they will estimate the marks for my trials. How does this work?
When i asked them how they will estimate it, they said that its very complicated and its a formula set by the Board of studies. Does anyone have any idea as to how this estimation process is carried out?
:confused:
My school looks at your accumulative ranking before the trials and gives you an estimate based on what your rank would have achieved if you have sat the trials.

ie. you don't move any ranks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To my knowledge there is no BOS formula for doing this - we certainly didn't use one yesterday when doing the necessary estimates for students at my school in my faculty.

We looked at their ranking without the trials and simply estimated them a mark that would keep them in that rank position with the gap the same as it was before the exams. No formula, just trial and error to a certain extent as the first mark we put in didn't put the student in the same rank - due to the closeness of some students.

SimonLee13

HSC
tommykins said:
My school looks at your accumulative ranking before the trials and gives you an estimate based on what your rank would have achieved if you have sat the trials.

So what would stop someone coming 1-3 and just jigging the exam? Doctor Certs are easy to get.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
SimonLee13 said:
So what would stop someone coming 1-3 and just jigging the exam? Doctor Certs are easy to get.
Then propose a better method then?

And yes, doctor's certificates are easy to get but our school does not validify them so easily.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
SimonLee13 said:
Last year the person who was topping PDHPE was sick for the end of year exam, but because she were ranked first all year, sje ended up coming first without doing the exam.

I dont know if it would be different in year 12 though

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
i still have the option to sit them but, im pretty tired out like i cant b bothered anymore plus i am way too sick to study what shoul i do my rankings r pretty good like the ones that gna get estimates are-
Modern- 2nd
Ancient - 2nd
Legal- 2nd
eng xtension- 3rd
his extension- PRETYY BAD RANKING LOL

so i guess the estimations i wil get cant be that bad rite?

btw, i go to school ranked around 120ish....

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
tommykins said:

but what about say the guy coming 1st got in the 60s becausein legal the guy coming first kinda fkt it up so does that mean my mark wil be low?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ALGALELE said:
but what about say the guy coming 1st got in the 60s becausein legal the guy coming first kinda fkt it up so does that mean my mark wil be low?
Nah mate. If you come first with a low mark it has no effect on your final HSC mark.

It could possibly mean your exams are hard rather than you being dumb.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
noo, because the guys that are coming 3rd,4th,5th even 6th will definetly beat the guy coming 1st he didnt study!! so if the guys coming 4th,5th etc getsay a 85, and teh guy coming 1st wil get a 60 wot wil my mark be lol?? estimation wise....... (im coming 2nd btw)

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
lol algalele you smart potato
nice subject selection
long way from sjbhs

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
housah0lic said:
lol algalele you smart potato
nice subject selection
long way from sjbhs
ahah yer SJB was such a stupid school, i was repeatedly advised by my own Career advisor to drop out and do a trade:confused: :confused: I guess i just needed abit of support lol. Anyway, i guess youve also made the right decision and changed schools:uhhuh: so goodluck dudes! hope you get into the course of your choice;)

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
lols do you know whoo it is!

yeh sjb long gone brah

DANEBANK FTW

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
lol, yes ofcourse i know who you are lol, look at your dp :p :p aha Allysar your the girl that made me wipe the seats in Science for some reason that i forgot ahaha:lol: :lol:
Danebank ay, some of the girls there used to work with me at Sportspower Bankstown lol

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
lol whatabout my dp?
alyssar love.

lol i dontt rememberr??
ahh the days.
really?
chicks from danebank working in bankstown?
well that's interesting

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
lol yepppp they did, a while ago though
Btw, ignore wot mazen told u today, he was abit drunkkish :lol: :lol:
im of to boring boring sleep:cool: cya later lysa

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ALGALELE said:
noo, because the guys that are coming 3rd,4th,5th even 6th will definetly beat the guy coming 1st he didnt study!! so if the guys coming 4th,5th etc getsay a 85, and teh guy coming 1st wil get a 60 wot wil my mark be lol?? estimation wise....... (im coming 2nd btw)
You'll get around 70-75 as your internal mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)