• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do u give ur opinion? (1 Viewer)

~> KAReN.

HSC
hey pplz,

i'm doing the origins and historical development of taoism and i have no idea on how to give my opinion in the body of the report...

in addition, u no how we're meant to give reference in our report for where we got the info. ~ how do we do that?
is it like:
eg.
Lao Tzu means "old master" (taoism: a history, book)

i have no idea

thanx* =]
:confused:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
An opinion is a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. Lol i dont know if this is what you actually wanted to know about it?

And as for making references, you use an appendix

Taking your example:

Lao Tzu means "old master"1

After the statement you put a little number after it (which would be 1 if its the first reference) and then on separate paper you list all the references so you write (on a separate page away from the essay) :

1. taoism: a history, book

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
you will have to check with your school re referencing as everyone does it differently and some schools are fanatical about it but the easiest method is what ac outlined above.

As for giving your opinion, you are doing a fatual/historical based analysis (ie what and why/how) so why are you giving an opinion? Opinions are only valid if you know what you are talking about (I know that sounds harsh but its not meant to sound that way) ie you have a sound groundig in what you are talking about.......I would avoid opinion at all costs unless your question callls for it!

~> KAReN.

HSC
but in the ISP booklet, under the body it has a point saying:
" - substantiates viewpoints "
does this mean gives opinion from the people associated with the focus question or opinion from me.

and my school doesn't allow footnotes ...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its not a footnote though, footnotes are normally at the bottom of the page where the reference is made. An appendix is a separate page and contains a list of all references used in the essay.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
sounds like a school based thing as there is no set ISP marking criteria so Iwould be asking your teachers about that one but it sounds like it would be referring to your ability to use research and evidence to substanciate a point of view (either yours or someone elses)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)