• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how much did you study, and what was your atar/what do you usually get in exams? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
I am wondering:

- how many hours a day/week did/do you study?
- as a result, what was your atar/what score do you normally get in exams?

Jinks

HSC
It really is going to depend on the individual and how quickly they grasp and understand the concepts. For VCE I studied probably 1-2 hours a night after school, 4 hours on a saturday and maybe 4 hours on a sunday. By "study" I mean any reading/questions I had to do as well as making notes etc. Obviously as exams got closer I studied more but at the same time a still had plenty of nights off after school as well, find the balance where you are studying fairly regularly but not driving yourself crazy and you'll be fine :)

enoilgam

HSC
As Jinks said, it really depends on the person and it can vary greatly. It certainly isnt like X amount of study = Y ATAR. I know one person who did about 1 - 2 hours per night fairly consistently and ended up with an ATAR in the late 70s and another person who did the same amount and ended up with low-mid 90s.

GL1001

HSC
During the break period before the HSC itself, I would try to write 2 history essays for modern and extension (each), as well as two english essays for adv and ex (each), run through some practice papers of other subjects. I had my creative writing for both english subjects memorised and memorized all of the concepts and arguments in all my essays. Didnt study extensively, just studied smart.

Atar: 97, twin brother 96.

BlugyBlug

HSC
I am wondering:

Don't ever adopt this attitude.
Hours of study are irrelevant in how well you do in exams. There is a slight trend, but what's literally 3 times as influential is how you spend those hours.

In my experience, my exam marks are 35% natural ability, 30% study habits, 20% exam technique, 10% time spent studying, 5% luck.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am wondering:

I think if I averaged out the amount of time I crammed for exams over the year
I would've done like 2 hours of study (maybe less) a week.
But I didn't do very well. ~~~

HAX0R

HSC
I'm in year 7 and I study 4-6 hours a day.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't ever adopt this attitude.
Hours of study are irrelevant in how well you do in exams. There is a slight trend, but what's literally 3 times as influential is how you spend those hours.

In my experience, my exam marks are 35% natural ability, 30% study habits, 20% exam technique, 10% time spent studying, 5% luck.
*insert* fort minor - remember the name

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I remember doing 3 hours per day when I was in year 6
Hey year 6 was harder than the earlier years of high school for me. Those arranging words in alphabetical order tasks... T_T Hard stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)