• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how much harder is 3 unit than 2 unit (1 Viewer)

big_bang344

HSC
Hello! Just wondering, how much harder is extension maths compared to 2 unit maths. We had parent teacher interviews the other day and i found out that most of the top kids in the top maths class were told that if they chose 3 unit maths in year 11, they would struggle. I was shocked because they are really good at maths. And yeh.. just wanted to see some opinions and views.

kooliskool

HSC
Well, I think the major difference between 2 unit and 3 unit is if you are good with algebra. In 3 unit, you manipulate algebra at a more sophisticated level than 2 unit kids. Also with 3 unit, you learn more probability and something called counting techniques.

So ya, if you are thinking whether to choose 2 or 3 unit, think if you are good at algebra. But always the advice is to take the harder one first, then drop down later, because there's no way to do the converse.

jnney

lemon
HSC
In 2 unit, you can memorize formulas and plug them into your questions during the test. 100%

In 3 unit, you cannot rote learn. i.e. you cannot learn 3u mathematics by memorizing formulas. You need to understand the concepts: where the formula/something is derived from and why it works. It is a test of understanding.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
In 3 unit you do more topics. In my opinion it's not THAT much harder. It literally is an extension of the work you do in 2U.

And yes you need to be good with your algebra.

funnytomato

HSC
Well, I think the major difference between 2 unit and 3 unit is if you are good with algebra. In 3 unit, you manipulate algebra at a more sophisticated level than 2 unit kids. Also with 3 unit, you learn more probability and something called counting techniques.

So ya, if you are thinking whether to choose 2 or 3 unit, think if you are good at algebra. But always the advice is to take the harder one first, then drop down later, because there's no way to do the converse.
+1
teachers can suggest you what to do based on what they (think they) know about you, but they cannot stop you choosing a subject (with a few exceptions)
just do 3u in year 11 and see how you go,it doesn't count towards anything anyways, worst scenario is that you have to do 13 units or somthing

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
The difference between 2u and 3u is *quite* significant in terms of difficulty. In 3u, you need a much better understanding of algebra and calculus, and you must show some ability to manipulate your algebra/equations to arrive at the desired results. It takes a lot of practice, but it's ultimately very killable.

The jump between 3u and 4u is much larger iin my opinion.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
2U : Kids get 100% with an hour to spare
3U : Less kids get 95-100% with few minutes to spare.
4U : Same kids would be lucky to get above 85%.

I've seen it happen before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)