• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Extension English- Retreat from the Global (1 Viewer)

milrock

HSC
has anybody done this module in the past few years??

I need any help anyone has to offer as its hard and takes up heaps of my time which I need to spread onto some of my other subjects. Plus this is not my forte and I am only doing 10 units so I really need help with this.

The texts which I am doing are

The Castle
Dirt Music
The shipping news

Im pretty covered with the castle but the other 2 have me baffled... Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated

cheers!

mil

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yes I have done this module, but you really need to be more specific. You can't just extend your hand and recieve help, you must be specific with what you need.

milrock

HSC
sorry I wasnt meaning to sound like I wanted someone to do all the work for me, im just having alot of trouble talking about the 4 paradigms in relationship to Dirt music and Shipping News. I have read the thread that explains what they are and stuff and I understand all that but im having difficulty linking it all in with the text.

milrock

HSC
to be even more specific I am essentially having trouble in deconstruction both texts in relation to the module and the paradigm... any notes or help anyone has to offer would be muchly appreciated :)

chrisy

hey.. I'm doing the castle and shipping news at the moment and ive really been loving them... are you wanting to know how to link shipping news to retreat from the global of your other texts??
you need to look at the basic concepts of retreat from the global- like 'comfort in the familiar' or 'a sense of place' etc... these will link the texts and show how they relate to retreat from the global. look at quoyles character and compare it to those in the castle and how he finds a sense of belonging- he finds what is close to his heart etc etc
um,... hope this makes a bit of sense

mouldy_bread

HSC
I actually hated reading the Shipping News, took me forever which is really unusual, must have been about 3 weeks.

But the point is that it's really quite easy to analyse. Just look at it from afar. I find writing a plot summary helps as you can relate things to one another and find links.

Sorry but thats the only text I'm doing that you are, my other two are the Bone People and poems by Seamus Heaney, which are alot harder

HSC
N/A
Ah, I loved Heaney... when you get more into it and want to chat about it, give me a yell :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)