• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

hsc mode - is it all it was made out to be? (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
So in year 11 I was told by teachers that in year 12 attitudes would suddenly change, we would all drop what we were doing and fucking bury ourselves in study.

Term 4 started....then passed.. and I felt |no| difference from year 11.
term 1 started, and i was still studying at a minimal and procrastinating.

Now half yearlies are approaching and I'm kicking in.
I'm studying a lot more and I'm a lot more focussed.

But this is nothing like what I expected year 12 to be like.
A lot of my friends are still going out getting fuckin smashed every weekend and I feel that people (well my group atleast) arent taking the hsc seriously.

Anyone also notice this at their school?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
People are getting more upset than they were last year when they get shitty results, but they aren't exactly trying any harder.

I'm still relatively calm about Y12 though- I'm sure it'll get more intense next term.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
rofl exams on monday and im watching tv/dotaing.

i dont know, my previous yr 12 fwellows say its a good thing, since i wont be burnt out.

i'm studying here and there though :)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
tommykins said:

i dont know, my previous yr 12 fwellows say its a good thing, since i wont be burnt out.

lol, i love it. 'No!! i CANT study.. i dont want to burn out...'

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
tommykins said:

I am in ur boat in soo many ways..
im in the middle of my half yearlies with an exam on monday(physics... o deer)
and watching tv/dotaing = me atm

at least i also have the comfort of not burning out but the UAI of 95 seems a bit harder unless i actually do something...

HSC
I worked really hard in the earlier years, not knowing that none of that actually matters, so I'm kind of burnt out from that... my work ethic has plummeted since year 7... i used to be so dedicated but now i procrastinate a lot.

i keep up with classwork, homework, assessments etc but i haven't studied for a single exam so far and i've managed to do well. however half-yearlys are next week and i've done heaps of work, spent yesterday and today writing out responses for the english paper... i've done small bits of preparation in every subject, but english is definitely my most well prepared... but i'll have days inbetween and tomorrow afternoon to prepare for the others.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
totally. our year dont seem as diligent as 07ers, but i don't think there's any fewer people doing well..

every one acts pretty much the same as always, but there is an underlying seriousness too

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
People generally get more upset about results, but don't necessarily buckle down I guess.
Parties are still happening and all.
Studying will probably intensify as the year progresses.

ilessthan3u

HSC
i finished last year.

parties kept goin on til weeks before the hsc.

the motivation to study kicks in weeks before trials. same for the hsc.

we all did well in the end =)

everyone got more or less than 4 hours a sleep during the hsc period.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
theshortykatt said:
our 07ers were a bunch of party kids who went out, got drunk and slept around every weekend and didnt do as well as they could in their overall hsc..
we are the good grade... :confused: lol
not many of them did that well though, so the school talked it up by saying "x amount got into uni"
= not necessarily first prefs
our year tends to let loose more often, but the serious ones know how to balance the going out etc

good to be the good grade!...maybe we just saw them as more focused than they were..

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Please speak softly, for they will hear us
And they'll find out why we don't trust them
Speak up dear cause I cannot hear you
I need to know why we don't trust them

Explain to me this conspiracy against me
And tell me how I've lost my power

Where can I turn? Cause I need something more
Surrounded by uncertainty I'm so unsure
Tell me why I feel so alone cause I need to Know to whom do I owe

I thought that we'd make it
Because you said that we'd make it through
And when all security fails
will you be there to help me through

I've lost my power

nottellingu

HSC
I feel alot more comfortable this yr than prelim. Just developed a study pattern that is effective and works a treat. I never thought the hsc would feel the way it does. I had always imagined study, study and then mre study. How i was wrong.

sasa-o8

HSC
I don't think this "hsc mode" thing will ever kick in for me.

melonata

HSC
It will probably kick in for me a few weeks right before the HSC :p

fiSHtITS

Cynical Member
HSC
I saw some guys from 2 years back in the hsc crying at school most days towards the final exams. I also had a plan in year 11 to get really motivated when year 12 started but I've hardly done anything, really happy that I've got great marks in year 12 thus far though. Rest of today is dedicated to english exam on monday, then when I come home tomorrow i'll begin study for the IPT exam the follwing day. Our school actually gave us the half yearlies test for english 2 weeks prior and we've had all this time to study the actual test (which ironically is the 2007 english hsc exam), so i'm studying markers notes and reflections on good answers for last years hsc, but I also have to write an imaginary journey for tomorrow :(

How is everyone else finding study for their half yearlies?

Does everyones exams start tomorrow also?

cs01001

HSC
fiSHtITS said:
I saw some guys from 2 years back in the hsc crying at school most days towards the final exams. I also had a plan in year 11 to get really motivated when year 12 started but I've hardly done anything, really happy that I've got great marks in year 12 thus far though. Rest of today is dedicated to english exam on monday, then when I come home tomorrow i'll begin study for the IPT exam the follwing day. Our school actually gave us the half yearlies test for english 2 weeks prior and we've had all this time to study the actual test (which ironically is the 2007 english hsc exam), so i'm studying markers notes and reflections on good answers for last years hsc, but I also have to write an imaginary journey for tomorrow :(

How is everyone else finding study for their half yearlies?

Does everyones exams start tomorrow also?
Yup, starts tomorrow. 5 exams in 1 week.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
So in year 11 I was told by teachers that in year 12 attitudes would suddenly change, we would all drop what we were doing and fucking bury ourselves in study.

Term 4 started....then passed.. and I felt |no| difference from year 11.
term 1 started, and i was still studying at a minimal and procrastinating.

Now half yearlies are approaching and I'm kicking in.
I'm studying a lot more and I'm a lot more focussed.

A lot of my friends are still going out getting fuckin smashed every weekend and I feel that people (well my group atleast) arent taking the hsc seriously.

Anyone also notice this at their school?
I agree, mostly.

During the first term (Term 4) - it didn't really feel like the HSC. No one seemed to be overly competitive, except for about nine or so people (except they didn't show it blatantly). Compared to this term - these and several more people have become significantly more serious.

I also plan on becoming much more serious also, but not because everyone else has (although that is a motivating factor), it is mainly because I need to. If I reflect on the past two terms, I've practically wasted all of it, and studied at the very last minute.

As for my school, I believe the people that I've already seen take the HSC seriously will just become more serious. As for the rest of my grade, they don't seem to overly care.

Good luck to everyone and anyone else similar to my position - there is still enough time.

moz324

HSC
my exams start on thursday, but most ppl in my year have 1 or 2 days where they dont have any exams, but i have an exam every day! which sux. im not sure whether u would call HSC mode the stage dat i am up 2 now. but i think i will get more stressed as the trials and the actual HSC gets closer!!!

cs01001

HSC
Does anyone feel like they don't really care what they receive in the Half Yearlies anymore, because of the stress? I kinda feel that way, but my other half tells me to keep going... Confused...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)