• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I need help with Australia as a global citizen; East Timor notes. (1 Viewer)

Mia-Leigh

HSC
I've been writing history study notes. And there is a possibility that the extended answer could be on Australia's role on a global citizen. I have notes but not alot on East Timor. If you could please help that would be great.

:)

WhirledPeas

HSC
This may not be as helpful as you were hoping but have you watched the movie "Answered By Fire"?
Our teacher showed it to us as part of the East Timor topic and I found it really helpful in understanding the situation going on there.
It is basically about the UN in East Timor during the voting period.

If you have any specific parts of the topic you need I could try to see what I have, if that's any help!

esstown

HSC
Well I recently completed an assessment task in school on Australia's role as a global citizen and got 95%. The question was access the successfulness of Aus role as a global citizen.

I wrote one paragraph which was almost 1 page hand written.

Australia’s role as a global citizen in the post war period is palpable through the significant role Australia plays in peacekeeping operations within the UN.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Australia peacekeeping operations began in Indonesia where in 1947 Australian military observers were the first of the UN peacekeepers to serve.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Australia also participated in Iraq, Kashmir and East Timor which is at the moment one of Aus primary focuses within the UN. Since 1999 , Australia has provided East Timor with security for both UNAMET in carrying out operations, and the East Timorese residents as well as providing funds of around $600 million in support of the humanitarian relief effort in East Timor.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Australia also helped in the UN’s intervention into Iraq to aid in the staging of democratic elections. Australia’s UN contribution as well as strongly supporting the democratic process, extended to the reconstruction and humanitarian efforts in the country. Australia's aid to Iraq is evident through the $170 million donated, as well as writing off a debt of around $668 million.
Therefore it is justifiable that Australia’s peacekeeping operations have been one of the significant roles Australia has played as a global citizen in the post war period.

Australia’s contribution to the UN in East Timor

The UN’s initial intervention in East Timor began with UNAMET (United Nations Nations Mission in East Timor) whose purpose was to aid in the staging of an international vote, which saw the outcome showing the populous of East Timor wanting complete independence from Indonesia. Following the announcement of the vote there were serious outbreaks of violence and unrest. The East Timorese Government appealed to Australia, Portugal, Malaysia and New Zealand to aid in security and peace efforts in the area. The UN Security Council then authorised an international force for East Timor under Australia’s Major General Peter Cosgrove. While providing security for both UNAMET in carrying out operations, and the people in the area, Australia also played a significant role in the UN’s humanitarian relief effort in East Timor.

Hope this helps

WhirledPeas

HSC
i don't know about mia-leigh
but thats helpful to me!
thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)