• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

if somebody got a low atar for the course i want and if i get that low atar can i get into the course? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It would be good to provide more information, such as the ATAR range that you consider low, the degree(s) that you are interested in and the university offering this degree(s). This is because there may be other relevant factors that can impact your chances of receiving an offer. These include adjustment factors that can be applied to your selection rank based on elements such as favourable performance in specific eligible HSC subjects and the area where you live. They also include early entry schemes that you can apply for, which can allow you to receive an offer for your desired degree(s), either through a reduced ATAR requirement or without the requirement of achieving a minimum ATAR altogether.

However, if we were to only consider ATAR-based admission without any adjustment factors, then an ATAR that is lower than the ATAR/lowest selection rank advertised for a degree is unlikely to secure an offer for that degree. If you are concerned that your ATAR will not be sufficiently high to meet the requirement of your chosen degree(s), there are alternative pathways other than those I mentioned above, including:
  • Enrolling in a different degree, then transferring to your dream degree after a year based on university results
  • Enrolling in a diploma program (whether at TAFE or university) then progressing to the equivalent university degree, e.g. Diploma of Business → Bachelor of Business.
I hope this helps! :D

thepunisher

HSC
yes or no let me know, i am stressing out rn
actually most unis have quite a lot of bonus points on offer, so its very possible to get into a course even if your raw atar is a couple of points below what their cutoff usually is.

e.g. here's the bonus points offered by unsw if you want to do commerce
1724051903526.png
if you get a band 4 in english advanced and math advances thats automatically 2 bonus points added to your atar that they consider

packrunner

HSC
actually most unis have quite a lot of bonus points on offer, so its very possible to get into a course even if your raw atar is a couple of points below what their cutoff usually is.

View attachment 43912
if you get a band 4 in english advanced and math advances thats automatically 2 bonus points added to your atar that they consider
ok thanks bro

iloveeggs

HSC

View attachment 43912
isn't this kind of counterintuitive tho?? if you are able to get these points it means you are okay at your hsc subjects anyways so your atar will be fine. if youre cooked then youre cooked. this will only help if your atar is decent and you're just a bit off or you flopped specific subjects and aced others

wollongong warrior

HSC
isn't this kind of counterintuitive tho?? if you are able to get these points it means you are okay at your hsc subjects anyways so your atar will be fine. if youre cooked then youre cooked. this will only help if your atar is decent and you're just a bit off or you flopped specific subjects and aced others
Why would it be counter-intuitive? Student demonstrates that they do decent in subjects relevant to the degree, give them an extra boost, student is happy they got into the degree, uni is happy because they got 40-50k

iloveeggs

HSC
Why would it be counter-intuitive? Student demonstrates that they do decent in subjects relevant to the degree, give them an extra boost, student is happy they got into the degree, uni is happy because they got 40-50k
lol nvm what i meant was your atar has to be relatively close to the atar the course wants anyways if you are getting enough bonus points to get in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)