• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If You had a spare 20k (1 Viewer)

benv

HSC
So if you have a spare 20k to spend on a car what car would you pick and state your reason

Criteria:
- Can't be older than a 2003 model
- Has done less than 80 000 kms
- Fuel Efficient (somewhere between 5-10L/100km)

My choice
Honda integra DC5 5L/100k (highway)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Um why limit to those ~shit~ criteria..

Fuck your rules, 03 diesel hilux dual cab

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The first two are reasonable ways of excluding very old cars... but the last one is a crap criteria.... and why you would quote the DC5's highway fuel consumption rather than combined cycle or urban where it's far more likely to be used is beyond me. I'm also going to presume you're looking at an Integra Luxury (non-R; and probably not even a Type S in the sub $20k price range).

EDIT: Considering your criteria is 2003 onwards, you won't be getting much DC5 for that money other than the Luxury model. Plus side I suppose is that it's unlikely to have been thrashed much but it's price would be inflated by the fact that they stopped making Integras and suitable sports-oriented cars in the $40k price bracket. I actually did consider buying one of these new back in 2006 but at $40k driveaway, it was a bit steep for me and I ended up with the Civic for $30k driveaway.

As for me? I'm not sure yet. Don't really need another car as I have both a DD and a track car, but I guess I wouldn't mind selling the DD (should get around $18-20k per Redbook) and then with $40k I could buy a late model 3 series (e92 pre-facelift 325i vs. e46 330ci).

EDIT: With $40k, I just realised I could even get a 2004 525i e60 (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...iceTo=415&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=355&silo=1011). I'd probably go for this over the e90 325i.

If I was really limited to $20k and wanted a new car, I'd probably go for the Mazda 2 with safety pack. I really enjoyed driving the Mazda2 and would keep the change. Alternatively I wouldn't mind a used MR2, a Skyline R33 perhaps (or an R34 GTT possibly if I could find one)... but I'm not a huge fan of used cars having had many friends get stung by these (mysterious repairs required) especially with performance cars.

Last edited:

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta. I'm hoping to have one by June! But which one is the hard decision..

Reason? I want a hatchback for mostly city driving that looks awesome. Wanted a Nissan Micra for parking purposes but no one supports this.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I really like the funkiness of the Fiesta but haven't driven it yet. Looks good. Until then, I would stick with the Mazda 2. It's more fun to drive and surprisingly stable. A lot more satisfying than the Jazz!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)