• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I'll recreate Howard's golden age, says Tony Abbott (2 Viewers)

Mdzabakly

HSC
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...says-tony-abbott/story-fndo20i0-1226453135882

OPPOSITION Leader Tony Abbott says he is "wholly and solely" dedicated to recreating the "golden age" of the last coalition government. Sixteen members of the coalition frontbench were ministers during the Howard years, Mr Abbott says.
"We will be a good government in the future because we have been a good government in the past," he told the Liberal Party's South Australian conference in Adelaide.
"We won't have to learn on the job, because we've done the job before."
Mr Abbott said the longer Labor was in power, the better it was making former prime minister John Howard look.
"The Howard government now looks like it created a golden age of prosperity which is lost," he said.
"Our task, to which we are wholly and solely dedicated, is to recreate those great days for our country and we will."

Mr Abbott said that, to give credit where it was due, in their heyday the Labor governments of Bob Hawke and Paul Keating knew what it took to build a strong economy, but Prime Minister Julia Gillard did not.
"If you've got the right government, you get the right economic results," he said.
"The Howard government understood what it took to build a strong economy. The current government doesn't."
Well this is just sad...
Discuss

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I'm not convinced the good times were all due to Howard, although Abbott certainly shown he deserves the prime ministership.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not convinced the good times were all due to Howard, although Abbott certainly shown he deserves the prime ministership.
No… I don't believe Abbott would be a competent leader and if the coalition leader was someone else they would've won the last election with no question.

Also, if Howard was so great then why did he lose to KRudd?

Lentern

HSC
No… I don't believe Abbott would be a competent leader and if the coalition leader was someone else they would've won the last election with no question.

Also, if Howard was so great then why did he lose to KRudd?
Everyone loses to KRudd, he is the man of destiny, he carries our national spirit on his shoulders. He is the once and future Prime Minister.

Mdzabakly

HSC
Everyone loses to KRudd, he is the man of destiny, he carries our national spirit on his shoulders. He is the once and future Prime Minister.
+1 ( although im snot sure if this is sarcasm XD)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, he certainly has great policies....oh wait, no, I remember he doesn't. Well you know he has got the statesman thing going for him.... Oh wrong again. Well he respects people's life choices....hmm. Oh wait, I know, he has a fresh new team.....oh right sorry I forgot.

Well, I'm sure he's still very deserving *eyeroll*

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Neither Gillard or Abbott are deserving of the leadership. It's pretty depressing actually.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Gillard is, there's a lot of stuff I disagree with her on, but I think if you look at her as a leader then on most issues she has done a remarkable job given the circumstances.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's like Howard, I loathed him as a person and hated his policies even more, but I would never say he wasn't a good leader ( except for perhaps the last term, a good leader always knows when to leave on a high note)

jackerino

HSC
This article is absolutely right, the best years for australia were with Howard. It just went to shits with labour. Howard has THE best interests of australia in mind at ALL times, he was a blessing to our country, and now he's gone and we're left with fuckin retards who are destroying us. We need a new Howard, ASAP.

Lentern

HSC
It's like Howard, I loathed him as a person and hated his policies even more, but I would never say he wasn't a good leader ( except for perhaps the last term, a good leader always knows when to leave on a high note)
Examples of good leadership from Howard?

Mdzabakly

HSC
This article is absolutely right, the best years for australia were with Howard. It just went to shits with labour. Howard has THE best interests of australia in mind at ALL times, he was a blessing to our country, and now he's gone and we're left with fuckin retards who are destroying us. We need a new Howard, ASAP.
actually, i really feel sorry for you...
i mean i really dont know much about the howard govt ( except failed filtering system that got hacked in seconds & workplace relations) but your what your saying would imply that abbot had the ability to even do anything.

jackerino

HSC
actually, i really feel sorry for you...
i mean i really dont know much about the howard govt ( except failed filtering system that got hacked in seconds & workplace relations) but your what your saying would imply that abbot had the ability to even do anything.
No i am not implying abbott would do everything lol, wtf, that completely doesnt make sense. I said we need a new HOWARD, doesnt mean abbott is the one. And I feel sorry for you for not realising how much the Coalition has done for Australia, especially in Howards reign

Mdzabakly

HSC
No i am not implying abbott would do everything lol, wtf, that completely doesnt make sense. I said we need a new HOWARD, doesnt mean abbott is the one. And I feel sorry for you for not realising how much the Coalition has done for Australia, especially in Howards reign
1. when howard was in govt i couldnt have cared less, why ? CUZ I WAS a FKING CHILD.
2. you said " I agree with this article" so you think that abbot would be able 2 do something, WHICH HE ISNT, cuz he is a dolt.

Lentern

HSC
he stopped the boats and produced a budget surplus
He did not stop the boats and every leak and every rumour regarding the topic suggests he was constantly wishing to increase expenditure and Costello was continually frustrated by Costello. People often cite his gun law reforms as examples of leadership, this is a fiction. Not only was there bipartisan support for it in the parliament but there was overwhelming popular support for the reform, it would have been more courageous for him not to reform it. I've often heard the claim that he showed leadership by taking the GST to an election. Yet multiple sources confirm after reading a bunch of polling, two weeks before the policy launch he sent a memo to Costello's office instructing the Treasurer to reduce the margin from 10% to 8% even though this would mean it wouldn't come close to bridging the gap for the revenues lost through the abolition of indirect state taxes. It was a panicky little display of political cowardice and wisely the Treasurer ignored it. When it came to foreign policy he was woeful, a miserable little lackey of John Howard and George Bush, while his statements about Barrack Obama in 2007 were utterly contemptible, completely unbecoming of a Prime Minister. He lied about children overboard, he was criminally negligent about climate change and the environment and his middle class welfare was little more than pathetic porkbarelling. He was a coward and a political phony, kept in office by the incompetence of Mark Latham and the emotional charge of September 11.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)