• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Impact of Class on Results (1 Viewer)

hholbrook

HSC
Hi,

I am currently doing business studies as one of my courses and, to put it simply, the people in my class are stupid. I don't mean that they're average, I mean they are below average. They ask questions that are pointless, go on about pointless things, and don't understand the most basic concepts in the introduction topic. How will their results affect my results in terms of scaling, and thus, my ATAR? Will I be able to still achieve excellent results or will I be dragged down by them? Also would you recommend doing the work myself and moving at a quicker pace and ignoring the rest of the class?

Thanks

Sup3rDry

HSC
If you're worried about things like this. Just work hard and top your subject(s). That way you won't worry about being dragged down.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Your assessment mark will not be affected by your cohort if you rank first (or last). That means if you get the top score in the HSC exam for your cohort, your raw mark will be 2x your HSC mark. So its all up to you if you get first.

That said, if you have a below average class, you may not have properly covered everything come HSC unless you are covering everything on the syllabus yourself. Follow the work in class, and if you miss a dotpoint, go home and do it yourself.

In terms of scaling anyway, business studies is not the best...

hholbrook

HSC
Well I was told that even then, I may be dragged down. I will easily top the subject but I don't want to have to worry about the rest of the class affecting me.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
If you rank first in any subject, the effect of the cohort on your internal assessment mark is zip, zilch, zero. You get the top exam mark as your internal assessment mark, and it sounds like you will get that too.

enoilgam

HSC
If you come first internally and receive the highest external mark from your cohort, then your cohort will have no direct impact on your marks.

hholbrook

HSC
Thanks for the answers guys. It has reassured me a bit because now I know that I don't have to worry about my class. What do you think of learning ahead because honestly, the teacher is moving at a speed that suits them, not me?

enoilgam

HSC
elaborate please?
Well, hypothetically speaking, you may come first internally and externally, but you may have a bad day on the final exams and get a mark which doesnt match your capabilities. In a higher ranking school though, because the cohort is better, they may be able to offset this somewhat by doing well in the final exams (i.e. you may do poorly, but second might do really well and beat you in the final, which gives you a higher internal mark).

Hazballs

HSC
Thanks for the answers guys. It has reassured me a bit because now I know that I don't have to worry about my class. What do you think of learning ahead because honestly, the teacher is moving at a speed that suits them, not me?
Yeah, i find this is really good. Even though in all my subjects we're moving at a normal pace (I guess so anyway), i just go ahead and do things myself that way when we do it in class its all reinforced

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)