• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ionic bonding (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
The ionic bond forms between two elements, one with a small number of electrons in the valence shell (metal) and one with an almsot full outershell (non-metal). Sodium and chlorine form an ionic bond, with sodium giving up an electron from its valence shell and donating it to the chlorine atom to complete its valence shell.

The non metal atoms attract valence electrons from metal atoms to become negatively charged, eg, chlorine accepts an electron to become Cl-. The metal atom releases electrons to become positively charged, eg, sodium loses an electron to become Na+.
These charged atoms (ions) are then held together by attraction of opposite charges creating an ionic bond between them.

Ionic bonds are not directional, because the bonding is created by opposite charges on the ions. This means the ions have freedom in the way that they pack. however, ions of opposite sign must surround each other to retain the attraction between ions.

Ionic bonds are strong and stiff. As a result they generally give a material high strength, high elastic modulus, high melting point and poor electrical conductivity.
Ionic bonding is the dominant bonding in some ceramics such as magnesia (MgO), alumina (Al2O3) and cement.

Copyright School of Material Sciences and Engineering UNSW 2008

theshortykatt is a deformed slut

Last edited:

jockrussell

HSC
Dipole-Dipole attraction occurs between polar molecules. e.g water (H2O)
i drew a picture for u but its too big.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jockrussell said:

Water is actually bonded by a strong intermolecular forced called hydrogen bonding that is 1/10 of the strength of a normal covalent bond. It's similar to the dipole-dipole force but technically, hydrogen bonding is the right term.

jockrussell

HSC
ill draw it with letters
H(δ+)
(δ+)H H(δ+) (δ+) /
\ / H O(δ-)
O(δ-) / \
(δ+)H H(δ+)(δ-) O H(δ+)
\ / \
O(δ-) H(δ+)
O(δ-)
/ \
(δ+)H H(δ+)
O is more electronegative than H so it hogs more of the e- making it slightly neg and H slightly pos.
These slightly neg and pos charges attract making a water dropplet.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
jockrussell said:

It's not a good idea to associate dipole-dipole attraction forces with the intermolecular forces within H2O.
They have a different classification for 3 specific atoms which form "Hydrogen bondings" with H. These are the F, N, and O. They are given the term "H- bonding" because those 3 elements are the most electronegative elements on the periodic table, and hence, the intermolecular force holding them is consequently much higher. Technically, they are still dipole-dipole interaction forces, but they just give them a special name.

Dipole-dipole forces are just generally any interaction forces between molecules as a result of different electronegativities of two or more atoms in a covalent bond. They must be polar overall, but does not need to specify which element. E.g. you can have H2S, or CH2CHCl. As long as they are polar, they will have dipole-dipole forces between molecules.

jockrussell

HSC
minijumbuk said:
It's not a good idea to associate dipole-dipole attraction forces with the intermolecular forces within H2O.
They have a different classification for 3 specific atoms which form "Hydrogen bondings" with H. These are the F, N, and O. They are given the term "H- bonding" because those 3 elements are the most electronegative elements on the periodic table, and hence, the intermolecular force holding them is consequently much higher. Technically, they are still dipole-dipole interaction forces, but they just give them a special name.

Dipole-dipole forces are just generally any interaction forces between molecules as a result of different electronegativities of two or more atoms in a covalent bond. They must be polar overall, but does not need to specify which element. E.g. you can have H2S, or CH2CHCl. As long as they are polar, they will have dipole-dipole forces between molecules.
Yea i no this i was just using it as an example as water is a small molecule which everybody knows.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Why isn't it helping? What part did you not understand?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
jockrussell said:
You can't upload images from your computer. They need to be online at Imgshack or somewhere. :p

jockrussell

HSC
Aerath said:
You can't upload images from your computer. They need to be online at Imgshack or somewhere. :p
Yea i found this out lol, but u can upload pictures that are less 97.7kb or less from ur computer. This is what it said when i was trying to upload mine but it was 1.6mb

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
jockrussell said:
ill draw it with letters
H(δ+)
(δ+)H H(δ+) (δ+) /
\ / H O(δ-)
O(δ-) / \
(δ+)H H(δ+)(δ-) O H(δ+)
\ / \
O(δ-) H(δ+)
O(δ-)
/ \
(δ+)H H(δ+)
O is more electronegative than H so it hogs more of the e- making it slightly neg and H slightly pos.
These slightly neg and pos charges attract making a water dropplet.
Lol... I can't understand that diagram at all...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Lol... I can't understand that diagram at all...
Actually, they do make sense...sorta. The poster used the space bar to move all the diagrams across, however, it didn't work, since BoS removes unecessary spaces. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)