• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is HD average much more employable than D average Commerce student??? (1 Viewer)

Yechan

HSC
N/A
Would a HD average b.com student be more employable than a B.com D average student. If so, to what extent?

Aiming specifically at accounting,finance majors/

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks ill take a read.

Anyone got a answer to my specific question though?
Would a HD average b.com student be more employable than a B.com D average student. If so, to what extent?

Aiming specifically at accounting,finance majors/
Yes, to some degree, but it may not be the best use of your time. You'll be better than those with a D average and nothing else; but the kid who got a D average and has been treasurer on three boards and done the accounts for the family business has the edge on you.

Yechan

HSC
N/A
Yes, to some degree, but it may not be the best use of your time. You'll be better than those with a D average and nothing else; but the kid who got a D average and has been treasurer on three boards and done the accounts for the family business has the edge on you.
D average with part time work for 2 years at coles + some little volunteering > HD average commerce?

u reken?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Employees generally prefer all-rounded people. Marks aren't weighted too heavily for many organisations.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It would come down to the resume.

Just because the numbers are quantifiable doesn't mean the reactions are.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If all else equal then yes, HD average would probably be more employable than D average. However, there are heaps of other variables to consider in reality.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If all else equal then yes, HD average would probably be more employable than D average. However, there are heaps of other variables to consider in reality.
This. And it might wow the interviewer who had a Credit average (like me). But ultimately your ability to fit in with the organisation and contribute to the achievement of goals is what will determine whether you land a job... and that's the bit where there needs to be linkage between what is on your CV/what you say, and what they're actually looking for.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a HD is more employable.

A HR manager at a big 4 bank told me that... They sort out the resumes based on highest to lowest wam.. Then they pick out the HD, D and some C's.... ... and chuck out the passes.

Chucking out is also known as "binning".

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a HD is more employable.

A HR manager at a big 4 bank told me that... They sort out the resumes based on highest to lowest wam.. Then they pick out the HD, D and some C's.... ... and chuck out the passes.

Chucking out is also known as "binning".
I've never heard of this practice from anyone in industry other than IB/finance which have WAM minimums (as opposed to ranking and binning on WAM) but then in my line of work, WAM isn't the most important criteria.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never heard of this practice from anyone in industry other than IB/finance which have WAM minimums (as opposed to ranking and binning on WAM) but then in my line of work, WAM isn't the most important criteria.
This was deloittes. My lecturer used to be a paper shuffler/sorter when he first got in the company.

Yechan

HSC
N/A
Deloitte =/= big 4 bank... which makes this even more surprising. But hey, their choice.
This is srs question.

If I get HD in b.com USYD but with absolutely 0 work experience, "some" extra curricular volutneering etc...

What would my chance at big 4 audit with 0 connections/networks.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is srs question.

If I get HD in b.com USYD but with absolutely 0 work experience, "some" extra curricular volutneering etc...

I've seen high credit averages with pretty much only extracurriculars (and some work experience not related to auditing) get offered positions.

I assume 10 being the most and 1 being the least
Interpersonal/Communication is always the most important attribute.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Deloitte =/= big 4 bank... which makes this even more surprising. But hey, their choice.
Pretty sure they were separate examples.

That lecturers story would have been a good 15 or so years old. Im pretty sure psychometric testing + online applications have reduced the need for the average employer to use such a crude way of cutting applicants.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Ah yes, had that lecture today.

You forgot this one, which I think is the most telling: http://imageshack.com/a/img69/5871/4cox.jpg

This is srs question.

Look to be brutally honest I don't think a question like this is something that you should be asking. If you are intelligent, and you put in the effort, you will be rewarded with good marks which employers will look highly on. Fixating on getting a particular mark isn't going to do you any favours, it just adds extra stress and in my opinion takes the fun out of learning.

As has already been said, the most essential component for making yourself highly employable is extra-curricular activities/work experience. Without them your missing out on a lot of the "soft skills" that many students seem to take for granted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)