• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Mid-Year Entry difficult? (1 Viewer)

ajn_sth_aust

HSC
Hi!

I've been a member of Bored of Studies for some time, but this is my first post here.

I am considering applying for mid-year entry to the Bachelor of Journalism or Bachelor of Media Studies at La Trobe University (Melbourne campus).

What I would like to know is: is mid-year entry difficult?

I don't mean with regards to how difficult it is to gain admission, but instead is it harder in terms of adapting to university life by starting in mid-year rather than at the start of the academic year?

Does it mean that you are always 'out of the loop'?

Do many second-semester courses require you to have already completed the first-semester units of study in a particular subject?

Does it seriously affect the 'flow' of the degree?

Sorry, about so many questions and they're not exactly precisely worded, but I just wanted some general opinion on the experience of mid-year entry to university course.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I obviously don't have any experience here, but I think it would depend on the exact nature of the courses and the uni. At ANU we have Bush Week at the start of Semester 2 which I've heard is sort of O-week-ish and probably helps the mid-year entrants a bit.

As for prerequisites, my Science courses in Semester 2 have quite a few requirements because they continue on from the intro courses, but my Arts courses don't have any. You'd have to check with the exact courses you plan to do.

DanielJW

HSC
N/A
I started biomedical science at the midyear intake last year and i did pretty well that 1st semester (1HD, 3D).

You will most likely find a few scheduling problems, but they're usually minor.
Problems will mostly come from some units having prerequisite units and some units only being offered in semester 1 or semester 2. A simple shuffling of units solves these, i'm sure your uni will help you plan out your units.

for example:
My "Intro to pharmacology" unit had as a prerequisite that you had to have completed either "human structure and function" or "systems physiology".
So i couldn't take it. I simply switched it for another unit and will be taking it in semester 2 of this year instead.

Then there are some units where, while they don't have prerequisites, there is some assumed knowledge. For instance, you usually go
"human structure and function" --> "systems physiology",
but i went
"systems physiology" --> "human structure and function".

I found that when doing systems physiology, there was a few concepts and terms that were necessary, but weren't taught as it was assumed you would have learnt them in "human structure and function". But they were a minor thing and it was pretty easy to just look up any term that i didn't recognize.

Of course, it works the other way around too, now that i'm doing "human structure and function", it's assumed that i have no previous knowledge, when i do :p. Having already done "systems physiology" i'm finding this unit so darn easy. This will probably be the easiest HD i ever get :lol:.

At any rate, being a mid-year entry really doesn't change your uni experience that much. A few changes to your unit plan and you're good to go.

t3ardr0p

HSC
I started mid-year. A lot of walking around absent minded-ly, a lot of 'huh?' moments, but there was actually a lot more help for the mid year students then the normal ones... but then, i didn't really attend any of the orientation or anything. XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)