• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is this true? (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey guys,
ive been reading a few of the past posts from some students and ive come up with this question:

if i come first internally (raw assessment mark) and come first externally (hsc exam) will i get the same mark for both.

e.g if i get 95 internal and then get 90 external will i get 90 as my final HSC mark?

or will it be the average of both ie 93 (rounded up)?

if so wouldnt that mean that if i come first internally then the mark will not count because the internal mark i get is the highest external mark. and if i get that it means that i get the same mark which is just my exam mark.

haha i know this is very confusing but anyways :)

thanx

qwerty44

HSC
hey guys,
ive been reading a few of the past posts from some students and ive come up with this question:

if i come first internally (raw assessment mark) and come first externally (hsc exam) will i get the same mark for both.

e.g if i get 95 internal and then get 90 external will i get 90 as my final HSC mark?

or will it be the average of both ie 93 (rounded up)?

if so wouldnt that mean that if i come first internally then the mark will not count because the internal mark i get is the highest external mark. and if i get that it means that i get the same mark which is just my exam mark.

haha i know this is very confusing but anyways :)

thanx
Correct.

If you are first, the highest exam mark will be your assessment mark, and you get your own exam mark as your Exam Mark. Assuming your first and you get 90 externally, and if 90 was the highest external, then 90 will be both your assessment mark and exam mark, giving you a HSC mark of 90.

That is why you are told not to care about marks, but rather ranks. Once you have good ranks, then you try to get the best mark in the externals.

Last edited:

mike12345678

HSC
haha and thats where my school fails :(

the whole year they stress the importance of doing well in terms of our marks rather than focusing on rankings. i feel sorry for everyone else in my class because i can assure you that not one of them has that idea.

im doing well so far im first in 5/6 subjects and second in english so hopefully if i keep these ranks i should do well hopefully *fingers crossed*

qwerty44

HSC

the whole year they stress the importance of doing well in terms of our marks rather than focusing on rankings. i feel sorry for everyone else in my class because i can assure you that not one of them has that idea.

im doing well so far im first in 5/6 subjects and second in english so hopefully if i keep these ranks i should do well hopefully *fingers crossed*
Really good ranks, hopefully you do keep them :D

Also teachers will never tell you that the most important part is to beat everyone else (not usually), but rather to do your best in terms of mark. Which is right to a degree, but ranks are also very important.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
important to note the first and last ranks of the cohort determine the range of internal assessment marks which reiterates why teachers demand everyone should do well

enoilgam

HSC

Another student mislead by ill-informed teachers. Teachers need to be educated more on how the HSC works considering how much they mislead students over it.

D94

HSC
N/A

What?! You should be focusing on marks, not ranks. Marks determine ranks; ranks do not determine marks. BOS doesn't care if you're coming first or second in your subjects; they care about your raw marks. Coming second by 20% will result in a lower final mark than if you came second by 2%*. But you're still coming second. The rank just visualises your performance; the actual raw mark tells you how well you performed.

* = given that you get the same HSC exam mark, same highest/lowest exam mark etc.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Correct.

If you are first, the highest exam mark will be your assessment mark, and you get your own exam mark as your Exam Mark. Assuming your first and you get 90 externally, and if 90 was the highest external, then 90 will be both your assessment mark and exam mark, giving you a HSC mark of 90.

That is why you are told not to care about marks, but rather ranks. Once you have good ranks, then you try to get the best mark in the externals.
Was wondering if your say.. ranked second does that mean if you got the best mark, that mark gets stolen and first rank gets it and you get the second highest mark? If so, does it work both externally and internally?

qwerty44

HSC
If you are ranked second, and you get the highest exam mark, that 'highest mark' will be your exam mark. Your assessment mark will be approximately (usually the same) the second highest exam mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)