• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

laptops with a mobile cpu (2 Viewers)

Which cpu do u reckon is better for a laptop?

• Mobile CPU

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Desktop CPU

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

compower1

HI!

wats the main difference between a latop with a desktop cpu and a laptop with a mobile cpu? cos i bought a laptop with a mobile cpu and the price was considerably higher....and i would like reasons other than...mobile cpu uses less power...
does anyone know about the effiency or the tempreture it gets to or something along those lines?
thanx

Huy

HSC
N/A
This page might be useful to you, have a skim through it.

Mobile PC Platforms Enabled with Intel Centrino
Mobile Technology

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2003/volume07issue02/art01_centrino/p04_battery.htm

I don't own a laptop (with desktop or mobile CPU in-built), but I have heard good things/reviews about the Intel Centrino.

When buying a laptop/computer, you have to weigh up the specifications with how much you're willing to spend, in order to suit your needs.

About the temperatures, I wouldn't have a clue.
If I were to purchase a laptop, it would be a PowerBook G4 (this is not a surprise :)).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
they are diff things!!!!

ones with destop CPU are destop replacements

ones with mobie CPUs (ie ones with M) are for road warriors

you can't say which is better!!!

I won't vote

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
they are diff things!!!!
ones with destop CPU are destop replacements
ones with mobie CPUs (ie ones with M) are for road warriors
you can't say which is better!!!
I won't vote
I interpreted "desktop CPU", when used in a laptop to be a desktop replacement, as well, so I voted for Desktop CPU, as the poll states "...is better for a laptop".

I know what you're saying though jm123 :)

Laptops are limited to the amount of power available (when not connected to a mains outlet), and so the less power is used, the longer it will run (which makes sense :)). CPU scaling will often be used as this will direct power (and henceforth performance) to the required application, if needed at any instant.

"Desktop replacements" is an IT industry-term. They refer to a system (laptop) which has to be used as a "full system", that is, they can do everything a desktop can do, so they're "desktop replacements" - for when you don't have a physical desktop computer (ie on the road, with a laptop etc) :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
On a slightly related note, people have been keeping me in the dark about the new Wireless Keyboards/Mice from Apple!

http://www.apple.com.au/keyboard

*drool*
I'd rather have the Apple Pro Keyboard/Mice though :D

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
If I were to purchase a laptop, it would be a PowerBook G4
" if i got a dollar everytime u sed that i'd be a millionaire "

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
" if i got a dollar everytime u sed that i'd be a millionaire "
LOL!

I do say it a lot... :p :p
But really, I am saving/going to purchase a PowerBook G4 12" or 15", preferrably 15".

There goes another dollar... :D ;) :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Soliah
I want a Centrino :(
There aren't many available in Oz atm though...

There are heaps

Originally posted by Huy
On a slightly related note, people have been keeping me in the dark about the new Wireless Keyboards/Mice from Apple!

http://www.apple.com.au/keyboard

*drool*
I'd rather have the Apple Pro Keyboard/Mice though :D

apple is crap, kbd has no web/multimedia buttons and mouse only has one button!!!

lol, apple PR guy was seen using Logitech 2 button mouse, lol

the best wireless pack is Logitech MX one.

EDIT: but then again you got to love Mac OSX....
lol, it also has built in support for 2+ button wheel mice.
I wonder why apple don't release them...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
LOL!

I do say it a lot... :p :p
But really, I am saving/going to purchase a PowerBook G4 12" or 15", preferrably 15".

There goes another dollar... :D ;) :p

problem with powerbook is that they are too heavy compared to centrino or crusoe notebooks....
escpecially tablet PC ones

EDIT: but they do look good and have the glow in the dark kbd

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
apple is crap, kbd has no web/multimedia buttons and mouse only has one button!!!

the best wireless pack is Logitech MX one.

EDIT: but then again you got to love Mac OSX....
lol, it also has built in support for 2+ button wheel mice.
I wonder why apple don't release them...
Well, I have been with the "Apple is crap" camp for a while, until I finally got off my butt and used one. (iMac G3, iBook G3, PowerMac G3 and G4, but I haven't ever used the iMac G4's or PowerMac G5, or even the iPod, so I'm missing out). I don't use the multimedia/web buttons on the keyboard, I just want the standard layout (qwerty) 101/104 standard keys.

As for the mouse, I've been using a graphics tablet on the PowerMac G4 (graphite) for a while, and it's been great, easy to use and simple with Adobe PageMaker, Illustrator and Photoshop. I do agree however that a right-click is beneficial, as holding down control+clicking is a bit of a hassle, I'll end up using a Microsft IntelliMouse (Optical) on the PowerBook if I ever get around to buying one :D

Also, about the Logitech Wireless MX pack, I have to agree with you here as well. I've got a Logitech Cordless (wireless) MX Duo, the one with the rechargeable docking station/cradle for the mouse (not the same mouse as in the "duo", it's an MX700 cordless optical mouse).

problem with powerbook is that they are too heavy compared to centrino or crusoe notebooks....
escpecially tablet PC ones

EDIT: but they do look good and have the glow in the dark kbd
Haha yeah, they do look fantastic! Especially that fibre-optic backlighting... *drool* auto-sensoring as well!

I haven't actually used a PowerBook before, so I don't know how heavy they're supposed to be, (even the 12" Model is that heavy? That seems a bit unlikely though...)

12" - 2.1kg
15" - 2.5kg
17" - 3.1kg

As for the Centrino/Crusoe or even TabletPC, I haven't used any, but I would have thought the TabletPC to be much heavier than any PowerBook.

I'll soon find out though (holidays, I'll have free time, after the HSC, going "Apple" shopping, LOL).

:)

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Sorry jm1234567890

but please follow the forums rules, no debates regarding your views of other companies, for example saying AMD sucks or Apple sucks, you can voice your opinion, in respect that you don't like them, but don't compare them with other products, because i don't want any flamming posts, or else it might get carried away.

Thanks

Winston

HSC
tablet pc are rarely over 1.5kg since they need to be carried easily
It's dependent on the size of viewable area, and some tablet PC's are thick, you can't carry it everywhere, it's just around the house mainly...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Soliah
No. Centrino's are not Tablet PC's - as of yet anyway.
I know, but most centrinos are designed to be small and light.
I don't know where you go the link with tablet PCs with???

I was comparing with Apple notebooks...

Soliah

I know, but most centrinos are designed to be small and light.
Not just that. They have inbuilt wireless capabilities, longer battery life, and perform on par with a higher GHz P4-M at lower GHz i.e. a 1.6GHz Centrino can keep up with in performance against a P4-M 2.4GHz.

I don't know where you go the link with tablet PCs with???
Come again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)