• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

law studies (1 Viewer)

lil-gal-24

HSC
Hey!

I was wondering what law is like and if the university you go to matters in the legal profession.

Opinions?

04er

HSC
lil-gal-24 said:
Hey!

I was wondering what law is like
Heya

I think this depends a lot on your interests. If you want a general idea of a typical law subject at USyd, it involves looking at statutes (laws enacted by Parliament) and historical cases. The point is to find the main principles so that you can apply them to fictitious problems, and also to get an understanding of historical law developments. Weekly classes for each subject usually involve 2 hours lecture style (where the lecturer outlines the law while everyone writes/types furiously) and 1 hour tutorial style (where some more law might be outlined and an opportunity is provided to discuss problem questions).

In terms of assessments:
-usually around 10% participation (each person is generally allocated to one tutorial class in which they are expected to answer the problem questions). Around half of the classes don't have this component at all.
-approx 20-40% is one take-home problem question
-remainder is the final exam. Exams go for 2 hours (+30 minutes reading) and there is usually no more than 3 questions (at least one problem question and sometimes one essay question).

It might help you to go to the Sydney Law School Co-op Bookshop near Martin Place (or any Coop-bookshop for that matter) - they have some great books there, you can flick through some of the textbooks to get an idea of what is studied at university (e.g. torts, contracts, criminal law etc). There are also some books that tell you all about the law profession in more general terms.

lil-gal-24 said:
and if the university you go to matters in the legal profession.
Opinions?
This has been answered elsewhere (I think in the UNSW threads). Generally the university should not matter too much as long as your grades are good and/or you have good work experience.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions please feel free to reply or PM me.

Cheers

Last edited:

lil-gal-24

HSC
Hey!

Thanks heaps! That was very helpful. I think i very much inclined towards law now so wish me luck!:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)