• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law @ UTS v Law @ Mac (1 Viewer)

pyjamapants

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
I am tossing up between studying law at UTS or law at Mac in 2009. Of these two, is there a uni in which the law course is significantly better?
Is the PLT program at UTS particularly advantageous??
From where I live, UTS is about an hour by bus, and Mac would be a 20 minute drive. But, I'm not particularly fussed by travel times and things like that, so travel-wise they are on a bit of an even keel.
Any thoughts? Any Mac or UTS law students who have any advice?? I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers in advanced.

peter2

Banned
HSC
There is a search button you know. Stop being so fucking lazy and look up the search button. There are many threads and topics on this.

icecoffee

HSC
I have. And the search function doesn't exactly work well with 3-lettered words. I've looked through various threads, i was just hoping for a updated and straight forward answer just to gain another perspective.

pyjamapants

HSC
N/A
Yeah, some of the ones I was reading were a bit older. Like 2004. And then they ended up being like battle of the egos over whose uni was better. It was pathetic really.

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
How can you conclude UTS is 'much better' from that link? 1 extra firm hiring doesn't prove much, IMO. (9 vs 10). And of course is it possible the firm that didn't hire from Macquarie just didn't have suitable applicants?

edit: Someone posted before me

atreus

HSC
Mac's degree structure has changed recently, with a bigger focus on foundations and research in first year. first year used to be 1 semester of jurisprudence and 1 semester of a combined foundations, legal research and ethics course. now, first year is 1 sem juris, 1 sem foundations and research, and ethics has been added into second year.

don't know much about the degree at UTS, but its essentially the same stuff. the biggest difference would be the juris focus at Mac and the PLT at UTS. I don't see the built-in PLT as that big an advantage, but it depends on what your plans are.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
If you want to be really proactive check put the websites of the firm you want to work for when you finish your degree. If possible see if you can find out from which uni the partners graduated.

To be on the safe side they are more likely to employ someone from the uni they attended because it is really the only one they know anything about. Also it must be good because they went to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)