• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Linux replaces Windows? (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tactic
you have never herd of it?
it was meant to be really stable.. it just never took off
I've heard of it, once or twice, but I grew up with win3.11 for workgroups till eventually we went to 95, 98 and so on.

I've never really researched OS's in-depth, or variants such as BeOS and the like. But I know that Xerox 'invented' the first GUI (or at least thought of it).

Winston

HSC
yeah OS/2 was Supposedly a big bang by IBm

back then when Windows 3.1 were in existence, the rivarly was OS/2 because OS/2 has proved they were the onl OS which provided multi tasking functionality

not like stupid Win 3.1, you can multitask playing solitaire and opening a word document lol...

but then the rush of Windows 95, hiring coding monkeys to slap together a stolen interface, and a hell of a buggy underlying system to beat OS/2

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Yuk to Mac

They can't run as many programs as Windows so you've got to buy your own Mac supported software that comes out after Windows software. You can't upgrade them easy. You can't run programs properly and the support of these programs is limited.

Only things good about Macs are the really cool designs and nice OSs (OSX kiks) they have. Go the white widescreen LCD!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Just in defence of Macs, even though I don't own one myself...

1. There are many equivalent apps out there which run on Macs. Anything a PC can do, a Mac can do as well (not necessarily 'better' :))

2. Macs come with the OS installed for you, which is convenient. Mac supported software are usually hybrid CDs which will work on PCs and Macs, although some games and apps have Mac and PC versions out there.

3. Upgrading isn't necessary on a Mac, as often as on a PC. You can buy a Mac now and not have to upgrade as frequently as you would on a PC. (If I had a 17" iMac now, I wouldn't need to get another computer for a good 3-5 years+ :))

4. Can't run programs properly? They work for me when I run them.

5. Support for such programs are limited because there aren't many Mac developers out there? (I don't know anything about programming, so you'll have to talk to Winston or someone else who is C#/Java/SDD-savvy :D)

But yes, I love their designs and the OS.
The 17" WS LCDs aren't bad either! :D ;)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
5. Support for such programs are limited because there aren't many Mac developers out there? (I don't know anything about programming, so you'll have to talk to Winston or someone else who is C#/Java/SDD-savvy :D)
MacOSX supports development for Jaca/C/C++/Java/Carbon(MacOS9)/Aqua(MacOSX)

It has great in-built coding tools (I'm using to code my Soft Eng project in C)

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
MacOSX supports development for Jaca/C/C++/Java/Carbon(MacOS9)/Aqua(MAC)SX)

It has great in-built coding tools (I'm using to code my Soft Eng project in C)
There you go deyveed, Mac's aren't all that "yuk" :)

Winston

HSC
I believe there is going to be a port for the Microsoft.NET Framework for MAC, but this is still speculation if that's true
w00t!!!
.NET Multi-platform to the max

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Comedy_Al
Nothing sensitive on the 'net would ever use microsoft. Unix/Linux to the max. :)
pfft anti-windows

windows isnt too bad, but its more targeted at reforming itself to suit very very new completely n00b users...

while the other OS's are made directly for advanced computing users

so i guess it all balances out

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
I believe there is going to be a port for the Microsoft.NET Framework for MAC, but this is still speculation if that's true
w00t!!!
.NET Multi-platform to the max
Thats the whole point of .net i believe. Microsoft are trying to replace Java with .net so it is meant to be a cross platform alternative to java. However, i dont think linux will give in to .net so Java will still be the one.

HSC
Uni Grad
China, South Korea and Japan are to boost joint research into a new computer operating system to rival Microsoft Windows.
The project, expected to be open-source software, was proposed by Japan and is intended to give a helping hand to Windows rivals, such as Linux.

The Japanese Government has already earmarked one billion yen (US$85.5m) for the project.
haha how's this working out for them lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)