• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Major work questions (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I was just wondering if anyone here knows exactly how they mark the major works, and if stuff like this would get alright marks.

I was also wondering if i should submit it as perhaps, a book with heaps of these images, make one large one, or heaps of little ones in frames together?

Last edited:

Farnarcle

Well, I'm not sure about the marking, but that stuff is mad. That's some nice Photoshop skills.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
graphically, they're really beautiful. an artist's book could be a really good format to present them in, and maybe a few large-format (A2, A1 maybe) prints too. conceptually/thematically though, you'd need to make sure all the images you decide to submit link together well to get really top marks.

soso

HSC
N/A
Looking great.

You can get an album from Creative memories at Mt Kuringai. This will allow you to add pages, remove pages and decide how many pages will go in the book. You need to consider detail and your selected artists. If you look at art express the works are rarely one thing. The album needs to tell a story in images texts and objects. Story could be myth, legend, family history etc.

Works need to go beyond documenting what you see and explore subject matter on many levels that are accessible to the viewer. Consider some approriation, humour wit. These always appeal to markers

Remeber this is not about ART but more about what the syllabus says art is.

soso

HSC
N/A
Read the outcomes of the syllabus. You need to meet the outcomes to score well. Also go to the BOS sight and download the examination report oon the practical part of the exam. 2002 should be there . It takes ages for the current report ie 2003 to turn up. Look in the section you will enter your work under and read what it says about the best work for clues on what they are looking for.

My first impression is that the images are good but depressing. I am looking for something to hold my intention longer. Something to engage your audience on more levels. Read a lot about art theories and see what matches your ideas and how that will appear in your work. Do lots more. You will get better with each one.

Come back and show us somwe more in one month. Document your journey in your VAPD

soso

HSC
N/A
looking at the third image I can see it could work better if you aligned it with Michalangelos creation of adam from the sistine chapel.

Use your work to recreate the creation of a contemporary adam for the 21st century. You could use the new image creating paradies of historical representations of adam through art history

Now you can see the work is taking on greater depth.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Thanks alot man, that really helped. And yea.. i filled up 50% of my diary with that earlier stuff, the last image is actually the begining of my 'the core compontants' project which will actually be HOPEFULLY my bow.
Do you think it contains enough... like... representation beyond what i was doing before? the last few things were just images, this one was actually made as a peice of art. Not just a design.

soso

HSC
N/A
Think of what you are doing as a research project. That is you are researching your idea. The forst thing to do is look at previous reserach on this subject going back to the beginning of time. Examples may include images, artwriting but may also include sources in science, maths literature, music etc. Sort through these selected pieces you have selected discard what you don't want put the other stuff in your VAPD. Write in your VAPD the things you are interested in. This should give you new ideas and directions. Experiemnt with the new ideas and see what new images, original images you can create. repeat this process several times.

I have already suggested you look at images of ADAm. I have noticed myself that masculine images of late show more and more anorexic features in film and television for males. A disturbing trend. Look at the detail, look at signs and symbols, mix them up create new, your artworks could take on a jewelled look. I am thinking you could look at images of male suffering through the depictions of saints looking at changes in the male figure and ideals of male beauty, issuesd of feminising the male image, body decoration and the increasing use of child like representation of the adult sexually mature

See lots of things you could look at. Look at teh english artist David Hockney and his use of polaroids for portraits, chuck close, see Caravaggio at the AGNSW for a start. Examine the images write down your responses,list what you see

soso

HSC
N/A
I looked at deviant art image. Bit hard to get a good view as it didn't fit in my screen.

I must say some things you may not like but need to be said. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. Your work is technically strong but is formulaic. You seem to be going through the motions without a stong concept driving the image. The concept is the thing that will give you marks. You images tumble effortlessly from photoshop but you need more or your mark will be average.

What is your concept/idea/philosophy If you don't have a strong clearly stated answer you don't have an artwork only a doodle.

post your concepts for your art and let me see them

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea i heard that too, anyone ever had theirs marked at their school? I've heard that's VERY GAY they like... mark you harder cause they look at ur diary and stuff.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i think they only look at your vapd under the following circumstances:

- big discrepencies between individual markers' scores
- your work doesn't appear to be a full year's worth of stuff (a good vapd would show background research etc, sort of like a second chance if they don't rate your work that highly)
- you're suspected of plagiarism
- your work is really cool, and they just feel like it.

at my school, the people who had work marked at school had their diaries and support material in the art staffroom, while the artworks were set up in the library for marking... so the markers would have to request individual vapd's, they couldn't just flick through them.

but on a related note, apparently the regional markers (i.e. the ones that tour schools, as opposed to the ones at the marking centre) aren't as progressive, and are more traditional in their outlook. but this is just what i've heard.

Skryp

.The Master.
HSC
Thats fucken insanity kid...I have no idea how it'd mark though...

soso

HSC
N/A
Most markers mark at the marking centre in Sydney. From here they go out to the itinernt marking after having the experience of the 'big ' marking. They also take a photographic record of marking samples used at the Sydney marking to help keep them on track. Each work is marked by 2 people each coning to their own mark independant of the second person. It is then marked again using this method.

Any big differences are marked again. Markers will discuss any strong differences. My marker friend tells me this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)