• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mathemics, I dont know what to do (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
alrite so here is my problem

I reasonably good at Maths.
im doing 4 unit(the only 4 units student now, the other 3 dropped cos....)

my problem is that recently i have not been doing so well. why i dont know. probably got distracted
you know how our UAI is based on 50% of school assessment
this is what i got for 3 unit
AT1(worth 5%) 52%(came late to class, cant believe it)
AT2(15%) 76%(still not good. kicking myself)
At3(10%)55%(this is the one im really pissed of at.im supposed to get 100% at this.study one whole day for it(teacher had to pick a cartesian one i didnt know which was 15 out if 25. got 0 marks for for 6 marks(24%) because i simply wrote the answer it instead of deriving )

at4(20%)(Trials) haven't done it yet

my 4 unit score
first test was on complex numbers(don't know if it counts) =80%
half yearly for 4 unit(33%)

since im doing so S*&^ at both subjects, should i drop down to 3 units(since my 2 unit marks are still pretty good?) free up some time and focus on other subjects?

im really stressing out because maths is one subject that should give me a boost in scaling and its not.i dont know what i should do.should i hold out for the next 4 unit test which i have for next term.

i dont want to end up spending so much time on 4 unit and then drop it(wasted all the efforts)
because even if i got 100% for the next 3 unit test. it would only be around 38/50 and :( i was suppose to get better than this........

someone give me some advice please

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hrm, have you tried posting in the HSC Marks advice forum?

I think the experts are over there. I'm afraid I do not think I'm qualified enough to give advice on someone else's hsc.

:-\

Good luck mate, and remember, externals are worth 50%.

TheKey

HSC
ok i may be wrong but..

if ur the only one person doing 4 unit course you shouldnt even care what marks u get, remember that these school marks are used to show relative differences between students from the same school in same subject..and since ur the only one, what will happen is ur HSC mark will end up counting for 100% of ur marks.

regardeless of what ur assesment marks are, ur hsc result would end up counting for 100% of ur 4 unit. Well that is according to what i nkow about the hsc and how it works, maybe ur a special case since i never heard of anyone doing a subject compleatly alone, maybe some special case applies...

turtle_2468

HSC
I would agree with thekey. BUT go post on HSC marks forum to make sure... I think that it won't matter... (because, think of it the other way, your teacher could just "fudge" your mark 10% higher, and no one would know, so they need to make it fair even if someone does that..)

Winston

HSC
Yeah either way dude your 1st!!!.... and come on man... you're competing with yourself lol... whatever you get in your hsc exam that becomes ur internal assessment mark anyways.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
so your guys are saying it works to my advantage doing 4 unit alone?

TheKey

HSC
well if were correct about this, it is an advantige since u dont have to care about ur assesment marks at all, it all hangs on the HSC exam.

if u get a band6 in ur HSC exam and they look at ur ~30% average at school, they assume ur school was fully strict and still award u the band6 that u got in the exam. Since they cant compare u to anyone in ur school they have to give u whatever u got in the HSC exam.

So if i were u, i would first check that what were saying is 100% correct with ur year advisor. And if so, u should immediately start studing for the HSC exam, go through the syllabus, do past exams, cause the school assesments are meaningless to u.

Winston

HSC
Well think of it this way dude... i mean you can spend more time studying topic by topic now all alone readying for the HSC itself, and not worry about 4 u assessments, you can do so bad in the assessments, and you'll still be ranked 1st, since you're the only one in the school, and basically if you rip the hsc exam, you rip the subject in your school, because remember, your Internal Assessment mark is essentially going to be your exam mark, so if you obtained an exam mark of 90, that's going to be your internal assessment mark too. But on the other hand, if you flunk the exam... god save you. :)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
cool.

what mark is considered as an above average mark in 4 unit hsc test?

and i was told by my teacher that you are not meant to be able to finish all the questions in 4 units test for HSC

TheKey

HSC
yeh well that depends what UAI u want to get, some people were happy with ~90UAI, if i remeber correctly, a friend of mine told me he got around 50% in the 4 unit exam, but after scaling he ended up in the E3 band for 4 unit, his other marks were englishADV 85, Phys 83, 3unit Math 89, chem 80. His uai was 95ish.

another friend told me he fully screwed 4 unit maths, maybe 30% area, he ended up with E2 in that, Eng ADV 83, 3unit Math 84, Ipt 80, business was ~80, he ended up with 88ish.

so if u could pass that exam scaling should be very nice.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i would say drop it. that way
* you get rid of a heap of stress
* focus on other subs.
* high scaling isnt good unless you do good to boost the scaling

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
by doing the sub alone, you get whatever mark you get in the hsc. this isnt really good if you arent good at the sub ..

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
yea. the thing is . if i put effort into 4 unit. ill think i will be ok.at least pass the exam.

the only thing i am worried about is that if i get too nervous and then my brain freezes at that day
may god have mercy on my soul if that happens

gman03

HSC
Originally posted by Steven12
yea. the thing is . if i put effort into 4 unit. ill think i will be ok.at least pass the exam.

the only thing i am worried about is that if i get too nervous and then my brain freezes at that day
may god have mercy on my soul if that happens
I got brain freeze during the exam, like 15 sec of blankness... then I got distracted and look at the examiners walking around and I regain my focus (explain: they are old, I like young things :D)

Anyway keep 4U. Don't let a stupid deriving questions or bad performance drag you down. Remember your HSC exam mark counts fro 50% so do good in that test and you should have E4 for 4U.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
re

I'm getting angrier and angrier with my maths!

At the beginning of the year, I worked my ass off - studying, understanding theories and methods etc...then test time comes around. I get 22/50....WTF is that!
All I can think of, is maybe I didn't study properly....but to a degree I know I did!
see, I'd do some exercises, then mark them, any i got wrong, I'd put in a "mistake/correction" column, where you put the wrong answer/method u wrote and write out the correct method/answer and write little notes saying "remember to drop X" or whatever.

Now, I'm freaking b/c I only got 34/100 for a test so now I'll probably have to do an extra subject which I really don't want to do, b/c I have time consuming subjects like english, maths & science. (I'm doing tafe btw)

Anyone getting this kind of "luck" I'm getting with maths?

--- btw> this was the first time I could ever honestly say in my whole life I studied my ass off and achieved crap all.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Try to keep 4U, i mean it's all based on ranking, and considering the marks you were getting, you'll probably still rank and decent amount in the end. 4U and 3U together will end up worthing a lot so just keep working at it and best of luck! ^.^

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
remember that 2 units of 3u maths scaling will count :D

one of the reasons why i kept 4u, and it payed dividends, 3u was my best scaled mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)