• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maths ext past hsc (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
gamecw said:
what about if the marking criteria says obtain the answer up 2 y=2(3x-2) scores a mark, but i expand it and stupidly write y=6x-5.. they still take off mark?
I think that would only appear on the marking criteria if half marks were ever allowed... the above would probably get you 1.5 marks out of 2. :p

H

housemouse

They do something called positive marking so even if you get the wrong answer but your method is correct then you can get full marks if there was a calculation error somewhere in the question.

P

pLuvia

I doubt you'd get full marks, you'd get one mark taken off for getting the wrong answer, but used a correct method but did a miscalculation somewhere in the working.

Similar in chemistry, and any other subject with calculations

alexvincent

HSC
You lose a mark for a miscalculation but if further on in the question, you use that incorrect value and your method is still correct, you still gain marks in those parts.

If in a particular year, it is really competitive, the markers would be stricter on things like that and they would attempt to differentiate the students by picking those things up and other things like forgetting constants etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)