• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maximising Scholarship Chances (1 Viewer)

FridgeBoy

HSC
I am currently in year 10 and subject selection is approaching. Upon contemplating which subjects to do and possible future career paths with universities etc., I wanted to know what steps I could take now in order to differentiate myself from other potential candidates when the time comes to apply for scholarships. I have read in numerous scholarship descriptions that community service and other things will help, but are there any other examples of things the help you get a scholarship? Advice from those who have received scholarships to uni in the past would be greatly appreciated.

astroman

HSC
the majority of scholarships look for candidates who are 'well rounded'. i.e. community service, extra curricular activities, school representations, clubs, societies, competitions, and good overall academics. And pick subjects relevant to your desired uni degree, say you want to do commerce at uni, do subjects like business studies, economics, english advanced, etc.

FridgeBoy

HSC
Thanks for that. Do you have any specific examples of activities, extra-curricular activities etc.? I am thinking about going down a mathematics path at uni.

astroman

HSC
Thanks for that. Do you have any specific examples of activities, extra-curricular activities etc.? I am thinking about going down a mathematics path at uni.
there is the mathematics olympiad which is good, do other competitions as well, also do things like clean up australia day, participate in school open days, do the red shield appeal, SRC/school captains/prefects are all desirable.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
the majority of scholarships look for candidates who are 'well rounded'. i.e. community service, extra curricular activities, school representations, clubs, societies, competitions, and good overall academics. And pick subjects relevant to your desired uni degree, say you want to do commerce at uni, do subjects like business studies, economics, english advanced, etc.
As mentioned above it's all about differentiating yourself from someone else. In addition to this you need a strong written application. When the question asks for leadership or what not, make sure to use the STAR method - this isn't confined to just interviewing. Make your answers compelling like you're telling them a story about your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)