• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

media player 9 (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
does anyone have it? is it better than the old one??

and i may as well put my other q here:

when u download windows updates, some of them say that after download u can't remove them. is that really a prob?? like is there any reason u would wanna remove them?

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Still use Winamp 2... (Only way to go actually...)

But WMP 9 has one cool thing, just a toolbar that appears in XPs taskbar to control WMP...

Its not that different to the old one otherwise though except for a new look?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hmm.. ok then, it always tells me 2 update, and i dont know whether 2!

also, i was looking up past threads... y do people use winamp? i didn't like it when i used it, although i may have had an older version than 2

Rahul

Dead Member
i've heard bad things about WMP9, so i havent made the switch.

winamp is the way to go, for audio only tho

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
does anyone have it? is it better than the old one??
and i may as well put my other q here:
when u download windows updates, some of them say that after download u can't remove them. is that really a prob?? like is there any reason u would wanna remove them?
I am using WMP9, because I like to have the latest codecs installed (compression-decompression). I don't like having WMP8 lookup websites, connect to external sites and attempt to download new codecs when I could just install WMP9 :)

I prefer the WMP8 look though (blue, vs the 'silver' in WMP9).
If you install WMP9, you cannot remove it from your system, unless you have System Restore enabled and prior to installation, WMP9 will create a Restore Point for you (so that you can rollback in case you wanted to).

For critical updates, service packs, and other recommended downloads at WindowsUpdate, some cannot be removed because they are essential (and critical). However, with service packs, there is the option of archiving your files so that you can always revert back to pre-SPx if you're having compatibility and reliability concerns. The same goes for patches, some are able to be uninstalled via Control Panel->Add/remove programs, while some are permanent, so if you've installed a patch and it creates more problems than it solves, you'd better have a backup procedure.

Most of the time, however, you should be fine in applying all critical patches which cannot be removed. (If it solves a potential issue, for example the W32.Blast.worm (and all variants) - RPC patch was issued on the 16th of July, although not many people decided to install it. Net result? Chaos from Monday - Wednesday (and even today). You should always visit WindowsUpdate (or at least TechNet) to look for the latest updates for your system :)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i've got it as well..i don't mind it, and like Huy said, it's easier than having WMP8 always looking up stuff

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fosweb
Still use Winamp 2... (Only way to go actually...)

yeah winamp 2.8 + dfx, the best enhancer
no stupid crap, just plays your songs the way you want them to, also heaps of mad skins

Huy

HSC
N/A
I use Winamp 2.91 + Geiss 4.24 Winamp Plugin :)

For those who want to give it a go, it's available at:
http://www.geisswerks.com/geiss/file/geiss4winamp_424c.zip

Download the zip
Extract it to \Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\
Configure it in Winamp Preferences (Control +P)
Left hand side menu,
Plugins, Visualisation

Give it a try :)

*Sits back, enjoys his mp3s playing full screen with Geiss 4.24!* :D :)

Press "spacebar" when it's in fullscreen to see the track/title/artist -- More help available once you push "H" :)

Last edited:

Soliah

Originally posted by iambored
hmm.. ok then, it always tells me 2 update, and i dont know whether 2!

also, i was looking up past threads... y do people use winamp? i didn't like it when i used it, although i may have had an older version than 2
Winamp is free. I've always ever used Winamp 2.xx as a mp3 player. It's extremely stable, unobtrusive, has amazing support, has all the plugins you could ever need, and some nice skins to boot.

Winamp 2.xx is the epitome of what a good mp3 player is, in that there is no bloat, and it does what its supposed - and well too.

I think that Winamp3 burned alot of expecting people, though it seems quite a few people still use it - for aesthetics no doubt. If you want a freeform mp3 player then Winamp3 does it well, though it can be buggy, from my experience, at times.

Anyway theres my rant on Winamp. Give it ago and get some good skins.

www.deviantart.com is where alot of cool skins are at.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
winamp 2.91 ownz winamp 3

as for wmp 9... get it like huy sed... dont need to always look for codecs like in 8

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
winamp 2.xx for music, sasami2k for video :) then download the nimo codec pack

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i now have media player 9
if not for anything else, it's great because when you press (-) it sets up a little bar in the bottom right corner, with pause/play, stop, forward, back wtc.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Windows Media Player 9 - video
iTunes 4 - audio

(resurrected this thread iambored ;))

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes, just to say that i like the little bar at the bottom, incase someone looks at it at a later date

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Windows Media Player 9 and Winamp 3 are what are defined as "RAM WHORES," meaning they chew your RAM and give little performance to show for it.

Its up to you what you use, but personally I use Winamp 2.91 (( http://classic.winamp.com ;) )) and WinDVD to play my movies.

If you want a free Movie player, Media Player isn't that bad. Just make sure its set to REALTIME RAM usage, unless you like frameloss.

fatmuscle

HSC
i have WMP 6.4 if u want
but then u may aswell use classic player 6.4

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Hit Start-->Run--> mplayer2
(You should still have this even when you install WMP9)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Protector
Windows Media Player 9 and Winamp 3 are what are defined as "RAM WHORES," meaning they chew your RAM and give little performance to show for it.

Its up to you what you use, but personally I use Winamp 2.91 (( http://classic.winamp.com ;) )) and WinDVD to play my movies.

If you want a free Movie player, Media Player isn't that bad. Just make sure its set to REALTIME RAM usage, unless you like frameloss.
it doesn't matter if you have 512mb

EDIT: the biggest advantage is the new media library and auto-playlists

it is just my personal opinion, but i reckon WMP9 has better sound quality.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
WM9 doesn't seem to store the times for mpegs, though, so it is always giving an estimated playlist length until the final file has been reached... Is that normal?

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
it doesn't matter if you have 512mb

EDIT: the biggest advantage is the new media library and auto-playlists

it is just my personal opinion, but i reckon WMP9 has better sound quality.
Yeah true. Over 512MB of RAM and its sweet... but Winamp 2.x uses far less resources :)

WM9 is good for storing playlists, but I prefer Winamp 2.x for that too :)

There are many different options in 2.91, including a playlist editor like WM9 (Its called the Library, but its esentially the same thing).

The sound quality can be changed in Winamp, but not in WM9. Just drop open your options in Winamp, and change output :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)