• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MGMT1001 Assignment 1 (1 Viewer)

lawipthelp

HSC
I just got the results for my MGMT1001 Assignment 1 and it was absolutely horrible. The tutor said that she 'failed several people'. I got a mark in the low 60s. I looked at the marking scheme and if I took the midpoint of each criteria (eg excellent grammar was 4-5 and I got that, so I assumed it was 4.5) I would have gotten a 68. Furthermore, I was penalised for, in effect, using evidence instead of my own voice. But when I went to the essay preparation class, we were explicitly told to "use evidence". I had a clear conclusion and introduction, but was penalised for not including all of my points in my introduction although that would have taken far too much space. In effect, I felt like the marking was extremely arbitrary and was based on criteria that was not made available to us.

I am considering asking for a remark from the head tutor, but I am not sure what effect this will have. Will they mark me lower out of spite? Will they just say 'deal with it'?

Furthermore, does anyone know if MGMT1001 is graded on a curve?

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
lol don't worry about it. the subject is wack a lot of my law friends get in the low 70s...

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I just got the results for my MGMT1001 Assignment 1 and it was absolutely horrible. The tutor said that she 'failed several people'. I got a mark in the low 60s. I looked at the marking scheme and if I took the midpoint of each criteria (eg excellent grammar was 4-5 and I got that, so I assumed it was 4.5) I would have gotten a 68. Furthermore, I was penalised for, in effect, using evidence instead of my own voice. But when I went to the essay preparation class, we were explicitly told to "use evidence". I had a clear conclusion and introduction, but was penalised for not including all of my points in my introduction although that would have taken far too much space. In effect, I felt like the marking was extremely arbitrary and was based on criteria that was not made available to us.

I am considering asking for a remark from the head tutor, but I am not sure what effect this will have. Will they mark me lower out of spite? Will they just say 'deal with it'?

Furthermore, does anyone know if MGMT1001 is graded on a curve?
I would like to share my view and hopefully this will help you for your next mgmt assessment.

An introduction frames your essay and foreshadows what you will talk about. If you introduce points in your intro, you are expected to write about them in the body. That's the point of a introduction. If you are not going to talk about it, do not put it in the intro.

I think what your tutor means by not using evidence and use your voice is that while it is a research essay, you need to have an opinion. This does not mean write whatever you think. It means researching and then drawing conclusions about the article. You then integrate those ideas and see what you get. It's kind of like what Module A of HSC English Advanced requires you to do - a heightened understanding.

You essentially make your view and then back it with evidence rather the other way around? It's sort of hard to distinguish the two. I struggle myself but when I can, I did achieve my best essay mark.

Re: Re Marking,

The tutor has to mark fairly. They might give you a lower mark if they think it's not that great or they can give you a higher mark if they think it's not that bad. It's a risk you have to take.

Re: Curve

Generally most first year Business courses do not scale. However, if the whole grade does shit, then they will have to otherwise firms will be going "WTF??? Can you guys not teach?"

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
Yea this subject is basically a wam killer, my lowest mark at uni is currently for MGMT1001

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)