• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MQ bonding session... but for charity! :D (bear with me here) (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

The Teddy Bear's Picnic (run by Westmead Hospital) is coming up soon. It's my annual (and legitimate) reason to dress up as a fairy, they give you free food, and it's all for a great cause! :D

The date is Sunday the 22nd of October from 10:30am - 4pm, at Rosehill Gardens. Volunteers get a free T-shirt, cap, lunch, drinks, snacks, and even free parking :D

Here is a list of jobs you could volunteer for:

*Bear Clinic - Teddy Bear Doctor
*Bear Competitions - awarding prizes for children's teddy bears
*Centre Stage - assisting with stage management and security for the main concert
*Colour hair spraying - self-explainatory
*Face Painting - also self explainatory
*Fairy Wings - colouring fairy wings with children
*Kindifarm - helping to set up and run the petting zoo (you will be handling animals)
*Marshall - scanning entry tickets, giving direction, greeting people and being on standby to fill random jobs when needed (there is an option to start at noon if you pick this role)
*Mini cars - helping to run, set and pack up the racing cars
*Raffle Ticket Seller
*Rides - supervising the jumping castles/mini cars etc
*Sandland - playing with the kids in a large sand pit
*Sports clinics - assiting with the range of sporting activities including soccer and table tennis
*Temporary Tattoos
*Wandering Character - being put in a character suit such as Bandaged Bear. However you can also apply to be a random non-suited character if you're willing to bring your own costume - for example I'm going as a fairy, someone else could go as a pirate/magician etc
* Wandering Character Minder - because people in full suits can't see very well ;)
Packup Crew - works from 4pm packing up etc.

Only prerequisites of volunteering are that you fill out a volunteer registration and criminal record check form :) (provided by staff).

Whilst we would definately be able to spend time together before the event, lunchtime and afterwards (remember - it finishes at 4pm :D), if we want to be "together" all day we will have to pick the same role (eg Wandering Character/Wandering Character Minder, these two are actually good ones for us to pick because they work together, and the nature of the job means that the more people there are, the better it is for everyone - people can only stay in the suit for a max of 20mins I think so there's lots of switching around and resting), it would also be extremely ideal if we could send all forms in at once, or within the same period of time (eg within the next week)
^ trying not to plug the wandering character too much here (because it's the one I've done before and I love it), but we get the biggest room to ourselves, it's probably one of the best ones for working with friends (every full-suited character has to have a "minder", yes people in suits/minders can switch around :D), and YOU GET TO DRESS UP IF YOU WANT TO :D

I got my letter/forms in the mail since I've helped out before (and had a ball), if this sounds interesting to you then please email melissp4@chw.edu.au, or go to www.teddybearspicnic.com.au for more general information :)

Spaces are limited and fill fast so it's a very good idea to act now! :D

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Thanks glitter, that sounds like heaps of fun. I'll have a think about it.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
*jumps up and down* yay an excuse to act like a 5 year old - sounds like fun!

lengy

HSC
Rosehill Gardens? That close to James Ruse Drive? I don't have a teddy bear, just a Gaara plush toy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So umm, can we like pick who we work with? rofl, its not really going to be bonding if we don't see any mqers during the day :p

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
i just had a random mental image of Mike pushing the kids out the sandbox - NO I WANT TO PLAY IN HERE GET LOST! *starts giggling gleefully like a child throwing sand at childrewn ahaha you are smaller than me!

I need to go to sleep before I have any more halcuniations

lengy

HSC
I would've fought Mike would WANT to 'play' with the children. I'd be the one kicking them out of the sandbox and telling them 'MY playground!' :p Most I'd do is check it out early in the morning whilst my little sister is at tutor. Not that fond of children most of the time, unless they think I'm god or something and behave.

HSC
N/A
Mike - yup, on the form there's a part of the form where you can put people's names on that you wish to be grouped with.

It does say "please try to send all forms at once so we can try to accomodate you better" though... will add this to OP in bold.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh I see, well what would everyone like to do? And then we could try and send it in that way?

HSC
N/A
good idea :)

(everyone still needs to fill out individual forms and mail off though...)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My plans to not do anything have been foiled! :p

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
lengy said:
I would've fought Mike would WANT to 'play' with the children. I'd be the one kicking them out of the sandbox and telling them 'MY playground!' :p Most I'd do is check it out early in the morning whilst my little sister is at tutor. Not that fond of children most of the time, unless they think I'm god or something and behave.
:eek:!! WHERE DID you get the gaara toy?

lengy

HSC
I got it last October at the Anime Convention. :eek: It's held annually, these days at Town Hall so I'll send you a reminder if you want to go. My sister's dressed up as something for the past two years... still haven't decided if I will or not. :p

Did someone say please think of the children? Okay... I wont go then. :p

*hopeful*

HSC
its sounds like fun but i dont really know any of u guys :s could be kind of weird

lengy are u mq'er now or just invading cuz our threads are so hot?

lengy

HSC
It's not the threads that make it hot... it's the people. :p

lengy

HSC
So where are you working? Friend of mine, is doing the Bear Clinic so I might visit her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)