• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Music - What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i have all the sheet music from absolution if you want it

god bless the internet

mack

Banned
HSC
Right now im learning a Planet X song. The eight finger tapping is a nightmare.

Oh and getting sheet music off the net rocks. Someone else puts in a lot of work, does a brilliant job, and I get it without giving them a cent or saying thank you.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
The only problem with Internet Tabulature is that you don't know if it is right, so you might be learning the wrong thing:(.

TripleJ

HSC
You should be able to hear if its right or not. Merethrond, can you cut down your signature a bit, its just crazy. Thanks. :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
TripleJ said:
You should be able to hear if its right or not. Merethrond, can you cut down your signature a bit, its just crazy. Thanks. :)
Hmm, I don't know if I can do that:p.

TripleJ

HSC
Wow you rock! I didn't expect you with your glorious postcount (and therefore much larger internet penis) to acquiesce to a meazly newbie like me.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
babydoll_ said:
What are you playing on your instrument(s) right now?

Guitar:
- Oasis - "Wonderwall"
- Michelle Branch - "Goodbye To You"
- No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

All works of progress :p which means they sound crap atm but I'm working on it
Lol, Wonderwall and Goodbye to You were one of the first songs I learnt on the guitar! I like Goodbye To You because it's easy to sing along to.

Im trying to play Sound of Silence by Simon Garfunkel fluently :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
TripleJ said:
Wow you rock! I didn't expect you with your glorious postcount (and therefore much larger internet penis) to acquiesce to a meazly newbie like me.
Well, although you are the only person to ever complain about it, it is only fair and I have had it for a while now, so it was time for a change:).

TripleJ

HSC
Merethrond said:
Well, although you are the only person to ever complain about it, it is only fair and I have had it for a while now, so it was time for a change:).
"Its time for change" - What, are you campaigning for Mark Latham now? :lol:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
TripleJ said:
"Its time for change" - What, are you campaigning for Mark Latham now? :lol:
I did "Change" as my Area of Study for English in Year 12, so it is probably that coming though in my subconscious:p.

Auto Wah

OH MY GOD!
i wrote this fucking brilliant song on my guitar. i guess it sounds like a cross between Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert with a flamenco 'feel' to it, to be more accurate it has the Phrygian character. it sounds kick ass, can't wait to go to friend's house and play it on an Electric.

who knows any songs that can improve my fast picking ability?? i don't want alternate picking cuz i've already mastered that, i'm now into sweeping, i guess it works best on arpeggios.

wtf mack?? 8 finger tapping? that's the biggest nonsense i've heard.

getting guitar tabs or music sheets isn't as fun as figuring out a song yourself. Even if you get it entirely wrong. But that's just how you improve your ears. THINK ABOUT IT! But then again you have to spend an ass long time playing/singing intervals

mack

Banned
HSC
Auto Wah-Whend you come back to the boards? Havent seen you round here for ages. Yes, 8 finger tapping does exist. You approach it as if the guitar were more like a piano. It is possible, it just takes ridiculous amounts of practise. If you want to improve your sweeping, try out some Malmsteen or Macalpine tunes. Frank Gambale can do sweeps from hell, but youd have to practise for insane amounts before you could even begin to pull his sweeps off.

Auto Wah

mack said:
Auto Wah-Whend you come back to the boards? Havent seen you round here for ages. Yes, 8 finger tapping does exist. You approach it as if the guitar were more like a piano. It is possible, it just takes ridiculous amounts of practise. If you want to improve your sweeping, try out some Malmsteen or Macalpine tunes. Frank Gambale can do sweeps from hell, but youd have to practise for insane amounts before you could even begin to pull his sweeps off.

Oh yeah, i've heard of this Gambale guy from one of Paul Gilbert's video. Heard that he is a freak at fast picking. I've been busy practising and learning all the theory crap on guitar, which occupied most of my waking hours, figuring out modes, circle of fifths, scales, progressions, chord structure, all i need to figure out now is Minor scales. Harmonic, Natural, Melodic minors. that stuff is not sinking in yet.

Auto Wah

mack said:
Melodic minor PwnZ all others. Such a great fusion/jazz scale.
wow, so you understand that shit?? can you explain it to me?? how to work out the minor scales??

with the 12 major scales it's easy cuz you use the circle of fifths, every chord in the scale have the interval of W W H W W W H

so C major has no flats or sharps

D major is

D E F G A B C# (WWHWWWH)

E major is
E F# G# A B C# D#

and so on
that's easy to figure out, now i want you to tell me how to determine minor scales??

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Auto Wah said:
who knows any songs that can improve my fast picking ability?? i don't want alternate picking cuz i've already mastered that, i'm now into sweeping, i guess it works best on arpeggios.
How do you know whether the guitarist is using alternate picking:confused:?

P.S. You guys are crazy:p. Do most guitarists in bands know how to use these techniques? In all the music I am trying to play there is none of these kinds of things, so is it only the classical guitarists that use it:)?

Auto Wah

Merethrond said:
How do you know whether the guitarist is using alternate picking:confused:?

P.S. You guys are crazy:p. Do most guitarists in bands know how to use these techniques? In all the music I am trying to play there is none of these kinds of things, so is it only the classical guitarists that use it:)?
it's easy to tell if the guitarist is sweeping or alternate picking, cuz there's too much difference between them. There's a lot more picking styles, you can use your fingers, there is a technique called Snapping. you pull the strings away from the body of the guitar then let go. People invent new techniquess all the time.

To answer your question, not all guitarist in bands are good guitarist. Punk band guitarist are the worst kind, most of them uses i vi vii progressions etc. if you want to know more about guitar theory i can explain it to you, but it'll take a lot of time. No not only classical guitarists, but guitarists that aren't lazy. Not just putting the formula in a call it a song.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Auto Wah said:
it's easy to tell if the guitarist is sweeping or alternate picking, cuz there's too much difference between them. There's a lot more picking styles, you can use your fingers, there is a technique called Snapping. you pull the strings away from the body of the guitar then let go. People invent new techniquess all the time.
How does it sound different though? Is sweeping the proper word for normal picking, i.e. just downward strumming:confused:?

Auto Wah said:
To answer your question, not all guitarist in bands are good guitarist. Punk band guitarist are the worst kind, most of them uses i vi vii progressions etc. if you want to know more about guitar theory i can explain it to you, but it'll take a lot of time. No not only classical guitarists, but guitarists that aren't lazy. Not just putting the formula in a call it a song.
You don't have to explain theory to me, thanks for offering though:). I usually just go to www.cyberfret.com for my music theory lessons, e.t.c.:). What I would like to know though, since you brought up that most Punk bands use "i vi vii progressions", it sounds like you are saying that when they first write some music that there a specific way they have to write music. Is that what you were trying to say, or have I misunderstood? I thought they just start playing chords/notes until they find something that sounds good and works well together (shows how much I know:p). Thanks:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)