• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My story, yet again (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
email said:
...I was wondering how you transferred from UTS Science nanotechnology in the second year? After reading the Congratulations thread I was almost disheartened by the fact that you go to fort st [and I go to a average public school], but then after reading the thread, inside and out it sounds like a lot of hard work that I'm willing to go through that [despite having a uai prediction of circa 80s - due to a total dive in english trial mark i.e. 55% when my average is B - you get the idea].....

In UTS, the second year, how did you apply, and isn't the post-grad med admissions the GAMSAT, not UMAT? Or did you apply for undergrad instead? Arghhh...I wanted to do the GAMSAT and ám rather afraid of doing the UMAT - because my logic is non-existent at best!

Do you think it's better doing Med Science? Btw does GPA take into account the UAI? My chances are looking pretty slim....I couldn't do the UMAT this year, because I couldn't afford it so I might do it in uni when I get a job...
You have raised a number of issues in this email. I will attempt to address them both succinctly and in a way that applies to everyone.

"Transferring" into Medicine from another university course
You are correct in thinking that I had to do the UMAT - GAMSAT is for graduates ONLY, and first years are nowhere near that stage (see my flowchart sticky for a clear explanation). What I did can't really be called transferring though, since I didn't move sideways into another course - I really withdrew from one course and started another from scratch. The only difference between me and a school leaver is the school leaver doesn't have a university record for the admissions manager to consider as part of their application. :)

Low UAI (in terms of medical entry)
I won't lie, this is a big hurdle. Not only in real, academic terms, but emotional as well. When I got 79.10, the only thing that kept me from thinking I was too stupid for medicine was my own stubborness and arrogant self-centredness. :p Luckily, I was clever enough to think ahead the whole way through, and looked for other ways into medicine (rather than chucking the idea completely). That is the mistake all too many make - they figure "well, I didn't get in this time so I probably never will" and in my opinion these are the ones who are unworthy of the profession. If you're not willing to persist for your own sake, what's to say you'd put the effort in for your patients? Just be stubborn, and be smart. This point leads me to my next, because as well as being determined, I was clever enough to...

Choose the right (alternative) course
Why did you ask about Medical Science? Do you have a passion for the scientific side of Medicine? Do you thoroughly enjoy research? Perhaps you simply like the "medical" part of the course - if this is the case then RUN AWAY! Medical science is NOT medicine. They are only related by the study of the human body, but that is ALL. While in Medicine we focus on looking at patients, medical scientists look at how the body works (and various ways of finding this out). They are WORLDS apart in style, and people who love medicine can totally abhor medical science.

I would strongly recommend you look at courses which truly attract you for reasons totally unrelated to Medicine. The example I know best is myself in choosing Nanotechnology. Although the science I learned was perfect for the GAMSAT (keeping the options open and all that), it was still a course I could see myself happily finishing. It also had the intellectual and financial benefits I was looking for in a career - nanotechnology truly is the king of scientific fields right now. Anyway, nano was fun, and I still miss it sometimes. It was definitely the right choice - not law, advanced science, medical science etc (not that I could get into any of those things, but still...).

Affording the UMAT
If you don't have a job, go to centrelink and get a Health Care Card. The only criterion is your income (NOT your parents) or lack thereof. If you have youth allowance you'll already be entitled to one. It reduces the cost of the UMAT to $50. Bear in mind that the UMAT is the cheapest part of applying for medicine, as flying interstate for interviews costs roughly one firstborn son.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You got 79 and got into med? You seriously need to write a book to give to other HSCers (or at least a larger post) because that's rather inspiring.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
no wonder he is so relentless in regards to ppl asking questions in the medicine forums...cause he has lost his testicles in the process of getting into medicine...now that is dedication...

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Er...what? That doesn't even make sense.
how about if i told you it was not intended as a negative comment? im sure it will make sense now...since there is no need for you to make me look stupid and make yourself look good...

edit: otherwise you have taken the 'losing the testicles' thing far too literally...i was saying you have been through alot of effort in order to get what you want...hence you dislike lazy ppl...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Still doesn't make sense though. Where did I say anything that implied vasectomy?

I'm just confused.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Still doesn't make sense though. Where did I say anything that implied vasectomy?

I'm just confused.
hahaha...i thought it was called castration (sp?) or is that only in the animal kingdom?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Castration is the removal of testicles and scrotum, vasectomy is surgical seperation of testicles (not necessarily removal) from functional connection to the reproductive system by restriction or severance of the vasa deferentia.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hey robert remember one time when oakman left the classroom doors open and we went inside and turned the fans on and threw chess pieces and chiko rolls into the fans?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I don't remember the Chicko Rolls. Do you think we should go visit her in December or something?

Maybe her diet worked! :eek:

veridis

droog
HSC
shit this is what med students are like? throwing stuff into fans all day
i think i may reconsider my options
=)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)