• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My subjects for next year some advice (1 Viewer)

mushi2195

HSC
Well i know what i ll be doing next year, as i ve seen the timetable for next year.

standard English
2U maths
physics
economics
business studies
modern history

Any idea's what UAI i could get with these. Also whats better dropping modern history so i can do 3U maths or keeping modern where i know where i will excel at. At maths my marks usually have a large range from in the 60's to 80's (5.3) so i picked history where i know i can get marks in the 90's.

scora

HSC
wow, you get your timetable a like 15 weeks before your year starts?

As for a UAI, that's completely dependent on the amount of work you put into the courses. I'd say stick to what you're good at: but if you can get as many units as you can in year 11(probably 13-14), experiment with the subjects and see how it goes by the end of the year.

mushi2195

HSC
I knew the teacher and i had to make some choices about it, so i knew my final

I can only do 12 units (everything on timetable) so thats not an option. Is UAI of 95+ possible with these?

studentcheese

HSC
Great thinking there. With those subjects, 100 has been the maximum mark obtained in 2007, except for Standard English, where 99.85 was obtained. That means that the top standard student gained 99.85. I'd opt with Advanced than Standard, but it's your decision..

BTW, if you are averaging 60-80% in 5.3 Maths, you should be doing 3U Maths. At my school, kids averaging 50% (in 5.3) are admitted into 3U Maths. But my school has just really hard exams.

If you are interested in gaining a higher uai, I think that doing Modern History would be a good choice since you do better in it. It would be a shame if you dropped your best subject, wouldn't it? :)

EDIT: 95+ is possible!

mushi2195

HSC
for UAI scaling wise would 3u maths or modern history be better? ( i was planning on picking up extension history in yr12)

studentcheese

HSC
I don't know about a more recent one. Sure, go for it. But isn't your subject selection form due in soon?

mushi2195

HSC
studentcheese said:
I don't know about a more recent one. Sure, go for it. But isn't your subject selection form due in soon?
i can change in the first few weeks of next term

HSC
mx1 will scale more

but 50-80 isnt really consistent..

scaling wont even work for you if you get 50 for 3u

so just do modern

rolror88

HSC
N/A
mushi2195 said:
is a more recent one available? I think i will depend on how i go in my SC, to help make up my mind
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=172620

From that thread:

Mathematics Extension 1
Number of units: 1 (with Mathematics) and 2 (with Mathematics Extension 2)
Average scaling (2007):39.6/50
Performance Band Descriptors (2007): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...7_12_15250.php
Syllabus: *
History Extension
Number of units: 1
Average scaling (2007):34.0/50
Performance Band Descriptors (2007): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...7_12_15280.php
Syllabus: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...oryext_syl.pdf
But.. if you don't do well at a subject and choose it purely on scaling.. Your marks will be reflected in that way (well that's what most people on BOS and teachers say anyways)

Choose what you are good and will enjoy doing.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
studentcheese said:
BTW, if you are averaging 60-80% in 5.3 Maths, you should be doing 3U Maths. At my school, kids averaging 50% (in 5.3) are admitted into 3U Maths. But my school has just really hard exams.
quote]

So does ours, but there would be no way in hell they'd let me do 3 Unit even if I wanted to do it to be honest. The trials were heaps good compared to what we usually do.

MissGiggles

HSC
can anyone tell me anything about the scaling or even some general advice and information about any of my subjects? unlike any of the spocks i call friends i picked subjects that i could flog them at:
maths advanced + extension
english advanced + extension
chemistry
biology
2U studies of religion (compulsory in catholic schools :()

TBK11

HSC
hmm so how does Scaling actually Work???
In 2003, MX1 (39.8)

ok its at 39.8 now what does that mean? does that mean if u get 40/50 ur marks will jump up? like how exatley does this work and for Chemistry if its at 33 so is it doubled? 66/100 or more will get u scaled up? i dont get how does works someone with a logical explanation please explain thanks :D

HSC
TBK11 said:
hmm so how does Scaling actually Work???
In 2003, MX1 (39.8)

ok its at 39.8 now what does that mean? does that mean if u get 40/50 ur marks will jump up? like how exatley does this work and for Chemistry if its at 33 so is it doubled? 66/100 or more will get u scaled up? i dont get how does works someone with a logical explanation please explain thanks :D
get the 2007 scaling report..and it will have the msotrecent mx1..

and i think it goes over how scaling works..

type i google uac

and in the menu itwll have something like scaling

but anyway:

The scaling process takes raw marks provided by the Board of Studies and estimates what these marks would have been if all courses had been studied by all students.
The scaling algorithm is designed to encourage students to take the courses for which they are best suited and which best prepare them for their future studies; the underlying principle is that a student should neither be advantaged nor disadvantaged by choosing one HSC course over another.
Scaling modifies the mean, the standard deviation and the maximum mark in each course. Adjustments are then made to the marks of individual students to produce scaled marks, which are the marks the students would have received if all courses had the same candidature.
Although scaled marks are generally different from the raw marks from which they are derived, the ranking of students within a course is not changed.

TBK11

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
get the 2007 scaling report..and it will have the msotrecent mx1..

and i think it goes over how scaling works..

type i google uac

and in the menu itwll have something like scaling

but anyway:

The scaling process takes raw marks provided by the Board of Studies and estimates what these marks would have been if all courses had been studied by all students.
The scaling algorithm is designed to encourage students to take the courses for which they are best suited and which best prepare them for their future studies; the underlying principle is that a student should neither be advantaged nor disadvantaged by choosing one HSC course over another.
Scaling modifies the mean, the standard deviation and the maximum mark in each course. Adjustments are then made to the marks of individual students to produce scaled marks, which are the marks the students would have received if all courses had the same candidature.
Although scaled marks are generally different from the raw marks from which they are derived, the ranking of students within a course is not changed.
But how does the process work like is there some forumale or something what does it mean by 39.2 for Maths EX1 thats the bit i dont get is that the average students get? so gettin higher will jump up marks.
soz got no clue in this area i tried google no help :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)