• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

National Studies (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
We did Germany. It is not easy, but its really interesting, and can give an enormous amount of understanding into one of the most ostensibly incomprehensible periods of human history.

good luck and enjoy :D

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
We did China, and it was friggin hard. Apparently only 2% of schools do it. It wouldn't be that bad except for the language-there are alternate spellings for every persons name and it's hard trying to remember them all. Also-there aren't many textbooks about it, so if we couldn't find the information we needed in the textbook we were given, we were pretty much screwed.

Fi

I also did Germany last year, very interesting indeed. To keep it nice and simple, make notes for every dot point and be able to discuss it out loud.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We are doing Germany.... we haven't done it yet, we've done WW1 and we are almost finished Indochina...... we all wanted to do the USA for our National Study but the teachers said that they couldn't find many good texts for it :(

loziscool:D

we did India.. i really liked it and ended up going to India afterwards :p
only 1 other school was doing it too which was also good :)

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
We did Russia. Much more interesting than Germany. Im yet to find anyone on these forums that also done Russia...

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
im doing russia this year.. it seems alrite at first, but i think its going to get confusing remembering all theses russian names and shit

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
You'd be suprised how easy the names are to remember. Plus theres not really very many names to know, at that point in russian history it all revolved around a relative few people.

Give me a yell if you need some help :)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazy
Russia, Trotsky and the Cold War

yeah im doing the exact same..

how does the cold war compare to WW1 and russia?

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Originally posted by Nick

yeah im doing the exact same..

how does the cold war compare to WW1 and russia?
Its a bit slower and theres a shitload of content, but as long as you remember all the dates you should be right. You need to understand all the terms as well Cant stress this enough - Detente, MAD, flexible response, brinkmanship, massive retaliation etc, learn all of these well and you should be right.

Oh and you'll need to research some historians/quotes etc to back up all your arguments :)

pranks85

We did Nazi Germany last year - it's pretty interesting, but I think Russia's more so (we're doing that this year).

I think Russia's fascinating because there's so much discrepancy between the different histories that have been written on it over the years and because of the cold war & all it was such a closed topic, and it was only really a few years ago that the debates began to break out. If it wasn't a MH topic, it'd be a great topic to do for history ext.

craz

HSC
We're doing China. We did Russia last year and Germany at one stage too maybe the year before. interesting stuff. We do Vietnam as well as WWI

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
We're doing China cause my teacher reckons that every other class does Germany or a European country and that they were done poorly the last few years.

Besides, shes already got all the notes for China.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Lazy

Oh and you'll need to research some historians/quotes etc to back up all your arguments :)

and if forget/cant be bothered, you can always make them up...
although real historians make your essay sound better.

Torch

We do Germany, and I love it. Although, I wouldn't have minded doing Russia... Trosky esspecially, he's bloody interesting :D

girlee281

We're starting Germany this term. I hope it will be interesting. And I think we're studying someone named Albert Speer especially, becuase I know we have a structured essay on him in like... week 8 or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)