• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No future goals... (2 Viewers)

Coookies

HSC
Should I be worried that I still have NO idea what course to take in uni?
I need some motivation for the HSC...

I have a slight idea about what to do but I keep changing my mind.
I wanted to be a vet but 98 atar is impossible.

My interests are dogs and slight graphic designing, and thats it.

I don't know what to do, I've looked at most of the uni courses and nothing really interests me.

michaeljennings

HSC

I don't know what to do, I've looked at most of the uni courses and nothing really interests me.
Yeahh Im in the same boat, I have no motivation for the HSC because im not even sure what I want to do next year.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Talk with your careers advisor?

interesting

HSC
N/A
same here! there's so many things i want to try out though and it ranges from music to med lolwtf?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I had no idea what I wanted - even when the HSC came around. So I just put in Science degrees and as I had an interest in maths, I figured I'd just look for maths courses. After going to the UNSW Open Day, I decided Commerce might be a good idea. And now I am where I am.

Moral of the story: it's okay not to know yet. Do your HSC and then think about it later. Because your thoughts might change. Hell, I was gonna be a darn Arts students if you asked me last year around this time... (actually, Science/Arts or Maths/Arts but... still Arts)

Coookies

HSC
But people say that knowing what you want to get into and the ATAR required will motivate you to work hard.

michaeljennings

HSC
But people say that knowing what you want to get into and the ATAR required will motivate you to work hard.
This is true, but to get around this I gave myself an ATAR aim of something that was just out of reach to keep me motivated. No point aiming for 99.95 if you know youre not gonna get it because then you wont bother trying. Make it high enough so that there is a possibility that you can achieve it if you try your best

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's fine. As Shadowdude said, not a lot of people know where they're headed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I just had a goal ATAR of around ~97 or so - but the main goal was to not get any HSC mark below 80 and to get over 90 ATAR.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
Don't worry about it!
Your motivation: Do well, so that when the time comes to choose, your options are limitless.

This year (I'm a '11 hsc kid) I've changed my mind a billion times. Only in term 3 did I settle for a course.
Advice: don't waste time like I did during class researching courses and careers etc.
:)

Last edited:

yours

HSC
I'm not all that sure if saying 'it's fine not to know' actually makes you feel any better. I know it didn't really help me when I was unsure. Because while it's comforting, as soon as the question comes up again you feel irked again. Do research into jobs to find out what they're like once you're there.

Everyone is uncertain, but people eventually have to choose. The ones who have have probably given the matter a lot more thought than those who haven't. You can't 'put it off' forever, otherwise you'll never find out any information. Inform yourself. It's not easy but you can't just do nothing and lament it. Then it's your own fault.

I know what you're feeling because I felt it too. The doubt went away once I did research and decided. Now I never worry about it. I know what I like and I know what I'm going to pursue.

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC

You do know you don't have to go to uni.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
True, dont feel compelled to go to uni, there are still great careers and opportunities to be had with a TAFE/diploma level education.
Exactly, you can always breed dogs, become a dog trainer etc. You have almost any opinion once you finish school

Coookies

HSC
@yours I have searched the ones that seemed interesting but reading the course was what made me change my mind again and again...

@powlmao Yeah I kinda do lol.. parents expectations + Im not too crazy about tafe and such

Coookies

HSC
Exactly, you can always breed dogs, become a dog trainer etc. You have almost any opinion once you finish school
That my biggest dream... but too hard to breed one specific breed, my mind changes too often lol! And you would need heaps of money to start of with

enoilgam

HSC
@yours I have searched the ones that seemed interesting but reading the course was what made me change my mind again and again...

@powlmao Yeah I kinda do lol.. parents expectations + Im not too crazy about tafe and such
Dont worry about your parents, its your career. With university (and anything post high school), you need to be self motivated - if you dont like what you are doing chances are you wont do too well at it. Just look at the dropout rates at uni.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
That my biggest dream... but too hard to breed one specific breed, my mind changes too often lol! And you would need heaps of money to start of with
lol only if you wanted to do it in Sydney, if you move to the country you can buy land for pennies (In some areas land is ~$1000 a square mile).

Also fuck what your parents want, it is your life and you can do what you want.

yours

HSC

the course descriptions I've read have been so vague! But I'm sure it's different depending on what subject you pick. Nobody is ever going to be perfectly happy, so I think you shouldn't feel like there's a perfect course. At the same time, it has to serve your interests at least to an extent. But I agree with the others that university isn't necessary if you're not interested. Ages ago I didn't think twice about going, then one of my friends told me they didn't want to go a year ago and it made me re-think the whole notion of 'going' to university and why we do it, now I'm only going because I've decided on a career and I can't do the masters work necessary for a qualification unless I have an undergraduate degree, even though I think the cost is ridiculous for what I'm going to learn. It's a stupid aspect of society I can't change and have to put up with: for 3 years and around 15 grand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)