• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not Getting the Marks You Expected? (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Alright, I am pathetic at English, and always have been.
But at the beginning of the preliminary year, I tried really hard, and got 100% in both my in-class essays.
Just recently, we had a speech, and got our marks back via email tonight, and I went horrible! Not even 50%...
The thing with my school is that everyone ends up knowing your marks, and people have been saying you always get full marks. Now I embarassed with these marks :/ What should i do?

Also! I have been really bad in Preliminary, espicially in Biology and Chemistry, and I feel that I am going down significantly. I am scared that I am ranked like really low, and all the hard work I have put in is for nothing! Does everyone feel like this? What should I do?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Soldier on, ace the next coming exams and live forever.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's normal to slide ranks as way more people do way more work in senior years.

Don't worry about ranks, put your best effort in and you can rarely be disappointed with that. Only use ranks as a motivator to study more if you want :)

Good luck!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Same with my mathematics, everyone thought I would top it, then BOOM. Down slide. You shouldn't be worked up too much, it's only Preliminary, you will have another chance in the HSC. Right now, look where your mistakes lie and improve on that. As for your human emotions, I would say to myself, I had a crack, I would be better off getting an indicate of where I am at now rather than in the HSC.

"I call this stage of your HSC studies falling, rest assured, the next stage is getting back up." SpiralFlex

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Analyse your mistakes to better prepare for the HSC.

Gigacube

HSC
It's only 1 assessment task and you've still got time to improve. Don't dwell on it but work harder & aim to improve instead.

Don't feel embarrassed. Stuff like this happens a lot and I am sure you can get back up to the top again as you've already shown that you had the potential to do well.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I suppose you guys are right ... but I feel so bad!
Um, stupid question, but what should I tell my friends when they ask me? I don't want to tell them this mark, cause it makes me look dumb (really comeptitive school) :/

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I had the same problem, I was trying to hide it, they eventually found out. Nothing happened, moved on. Another quote if it makes juicy feel better, "There is no such thing as flying high before falling." SpiralFlex

For the record, you are not "dumb".

"An average person will cry at the face of defeat, a true champion would go and make sure it doesn't happen again." SpiralFlex (I am on a roll today.)

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
Just say that you don't want to share your mark and get on with life.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Shit happens. No point dwelling on it - laugh at it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you're obviously upset, so um if they ask just kinda gloss over and say something general like "oh yeah, it was okay or I was a bit disappointed with it" and glide to another topic.

Spi, I wish I could give you rep for all your motivational sayings but I have to spread rep. You could be a motivational speaker but an awesome one not the annoying one I always have to hear :p

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah you're obviously upset, so um if they ask just kinda gloss over and say something general like "oh yeah, it was okay or I was a bit disappointed with it" and glide to another topic.

Spi, I wish I could give you rep for all your motivational sayings but I have to spread rep. You could be a motivational speaker but an awesome one not the annoying one I always have to hear :p
Merry Christmas to you too.

jnney

lemon
HSC
AHAH merry christmas to all of you ! :p

Okay, this is going to sound really, really stupid: at the beginning of this year I cracked. Normally people 'crack' during their HSC year, meaning they become so overwhelmed with stress that they either 1. dont know what to do anymore or 2. give up. I was such a stress head.

That's an experience I never want to have ever again.

See the thing is, I don't always get the marks I expect, for several reasons. I'm sure that goes the same for everybody. Up until recently, I would always, CONSTANTLY worry over this. But someone said to me, 'how are you going to be a doctor if you're stressing already?' Then I realised, yeah, how am I going to anything?

Do you know what I'm saying? ..Maybe? No? Okay. Be glad that you're in preliminary. Because if you're having these thoughts now in the HSC year...start worrying. to be frank, I am so thankful for having a prelim year. I've made so many mistakes over the past 6 months. That probably goes for you too. But just remember now that you have the chance to figure out where you went wrong, how you can improve and who to seek for help.

If you are not pleased with your English mark ask for more feedback from the teacher. The success to this subject is practice, practice, practice. That's it. Ask for more similar style questions, because essentially a speech is like an essay. Then hand in that work and as for more feedback. Address your problems. Why are you losing those marks?

Keep in mind that just because you ace one exam, does not mean you'll ace the other. Success requires effort. That depends on how much you want it. All the time I see people at my school whining about their crappy score and what not and I just think to myself, 'how do you even have the pride to think that?'

What I'm trying to say is that, I'm glad you're realising that there's something you need to address. Make all the mistakes you'll ever need to make to prepare yourself for the HSC year. Some kids say, 'oh year 11 is nothing I'll try harder next year'. WRONG. Try hard this year or else you'll just find yourself in all sorts of awkward situations that will just screw you over and over again in year 12.

Stop stressing. Acknowledge that you really care about your marks, that you really want to do well, then stop stressing. It does nothing to help you improve. Stressing just eats up all your energy and you'll have none left to revise. What I suggest for Biology and Chemistry is go through the syllabus and address every dot point. Bug the hell out of your teacher for every single little thing you don't understand. Ask your friends. Ask your tutor, seek help in other textbooks, whatever it is. Most of all, don't give up. It's not the end of the world. We're all human and we can't always be in the right mind all the time, which is why we need to constantly remind and guide each other on the right path.

Hope you're sleeping and eating well, cheer up! :)

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
AHAH merry christmas to all of you ! :p

Okay, this is going to sound really, really stupid: at the beginning of this year I cracked. Normally people 'crack' during their HSC year, meaning they become so overwhelmed with stress that they either 1. dont know what to do anymore or 2. give up. I was such a stress head.

That's an experience I never want to have ever again.

See the thing is, I don't always get the marks I expect, for several reasons. I'm sure that goes the same for everybody. Up until recently, I would always, CONSTANTLY worry over this. But someone said to me, 'how are you going to be a doctor if you're stressing already?' Then I realised, yeah, how am I going to anything?

Do you know what I'm saying? ..Maybe? No? Okay. Be glad that you're in preliminary. Because if you're having these thoughts now in the HSC year...start worrying. to be frank, I am so thankful for having a prelim year. I've made so many mistakes over the past 6 months. That probably goes for you too. But just remember now that you have the chance to figure out where you went wrong, how you can improve and who to seek for help.

If you are not pleased with your English mark ask for more feedback from the teacher. The success to this subject is practice, practice, practice. That's it. Ask for more similar style questions, because essentially a speech is like an essay. Then hand in that work and as for more feedback. Address your problems. Why are you losing those marks?

Keep in mind that just because you ace one exam, does not mean you'll ace the other. Success requires effort. That depends on how much you want it. All the time I see people at my school whining about their crappy score and what not and I just think to myself, 'how do you even have the pride to think that?'

What I'm trying to say is that, I'm glad you're realising that there's something you need to address. Make all the mistakes you'll ever need to make to prepare yourself for the HSC year. Some kids say, 'oh year 11 is nothing I'll try harder next year'. WRONG. Try hard this year or else you'll just find yourself in all sorts of awkward situations that will just screw you over and over again in year 12.

Stop stressing. Acknowledge that you really care about your marks, that you really want to do well, then stop stressing. It does nothing to help you improve. Stressing just eats up all your energy and you'll have none left to revise. What I suggest for Biology and Chemistry is go through the syllabus and address every dot point. Bug the hell out of your teacher for every single little thing you don't understand. Ask your friends. Ask your tutor, seek help in other textbooks, whatever it is. Most of all, don't give up. It's not the end of the world. We're all human and we can't always be in the right mind all the time, which is why we need to constantly remind and guide each other on the right path.

Hope you're sleeping and eating well, cheer up! :)
99 ATARian right there plus some great advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)