• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Off Topic. Looking for a violin. (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Hello.

I've finished Year 10 and I've always wanted to play the violin since hearing the opening theme of the movie Saving Private Ryan. I plan to do so during my long break before I lose my freedom and social life, however I've never had any experience with a musical instrument except for the guitar where I can only play one riff (the duh, duh , duhhh, duh, duh, duhh, duhh, duh, duh, duh, duhh, duhh one). My questions to you guys are-

How much do good second hand violins in your experience cost on average?
Do you know any good music shops near the Campbelltown area?
Do you know any places where I could buy music sheets from movie themes (especially some composed by Hans Zimmer and John Williams)?
Are there any cheap violin tutors (in terms of not charging incredulous amounts such as in the terms of $28.50 per 30 minutes!)?
Do you think it is possible for one to teach oneself the violin like Thomas Jefferson did in your opinion? Be honest.

That's it! Thanks for reading my post.

Thank you.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I've got some experience in this area...

Just go to local pawn shops and buy a cheap used instrument. Or failing that, go buy one of the cheap "student" models at any music store.

Movie themes are the easiest sheet music to find... search online for anything. Your local music shop will be able to order anything you want.

$30/hr is a normal rate for tuition.

As for teaching yourself... violin is argueably the hardest instrument to learn, up there with the trumpet. It would be very hard to get your intonation perfect without someone to guide you.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Seven Nation Army?
Ugh. I used to hear that coming from the music room at school EVERY DAY.
I'm thinking smoke on the water.

I had a yamaha sv-120, that was pretty gud.

Kittikhun

HSC
As for teaching yourself... violin is argueably the hardest instrument to learn, up there with the trumpet. It would be very hard to get your intonation perfect without someone to guide you.

Damn. How long would that possibly take in your honest opinion. I really want to learn to play the violin in my life as my solace during hard and perilous times to sustain me.

$28.50 per 30 minutes is a fairly good price.

You got to be kidding me. I'm never even going to afford one lesson.

Have you considered buying a cheapie Violin off eBay?

My parents do not trust money exchanges over the internet for some reason, even if it's Paypal.

Oh and I forgot to ask this before in my first post. What do you look for in a good violin?

Thanks for your quick replies.

loz8888

HSC
I have a violin for sale. It's practically new - only been used a couple of times. I'll go and check out the make and model for you..let me know if you're interested. :)

Its' a Ragetti. I can send you some pics if you want ?

The price is $450.00 - I paid around $800.00 for it when I got it and I've only used it about 2 times.

It comes with the chin rest, bow, case and rosin

It's in perfect condition

Last edited:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
And, in terms of trying to teach yourself, you could get yourself the Suzuki books. Start with book 1 and get the accompanying CD if the book does not come with it. It starts with very simple stuff and you play along to the CD. It has pictures on how to hold the violin and bow.

My son is doing Suzuki method and it progresses through the various techniques a bit at a time. I even picked up his violin (when he finally got to ful size) and could do the first few pieces without many problems.

His first full size violin cost about $500. When you're learning, you don't need anything too flashy in a violin and you probably can't tell much difference between good and bad. BUT the mellower the sound, the richer and more undertones it has the better the violin. Naturally, you need to feel comfortable with it and the chin rest needs to snuggle right on in there.

I hope that helps and have a great time. Some people have the ear for violin. It can also help, once you've tuned the violin, to put a little thin piece of sticky tape on the finger board to give your anchor point for the first position (since there are no frets).

foreva.me

HSC
the violin like said above, is a very hard instrument to play

it's an extremely sensitive instrument

unlike instruments such as the piano/guitar, you don't have keys/frets to get the notes, it solely relies on your ears to find the pitch, which makes it all the more harder

ive been playing the violin for 14 years now and you need strong motivation and determintation. if you're up for it, then go for it =]

in terms of buying violins, if you're a beginner, there's no need to get an expensive violin. usually, using reasonable quality violin strings, a cheap violin does sound alright

lessons are usually $30/30min or higher if you want a good teacher

hope it helped :)

HSC
Kittikhun said:
Hello.

I've finished Year 10 and I've always wanted to play the violin since hearing the opening theme of the movie Saving Private Ryan. I plan to do so during my long break before I lose my freedom and social life, however I've never had any experience with a musical instrument except for the guitar where I can only play one riff (the duh, duh , duhhh, duh, duh, duhh, duhh, duh, duh, duh, duhh, duhh one). My questions to you guys are-

How much do good second hand violins in your experience cost on average?
Do you know any good music shops near the Campbelltown area?
Do you know any places where I could buy music sheets from movie themes (especially some composed by Hans Zimmer and John Williams)?
Are there any cheap violin tutors (in terms of not charging incredulous amounts such as in the terms of $28.50 per 30 minutes!)?
Do you think it is possible for one to teach oneself the violin like Thomas Jefferson did in your opinion? Be honest.

That's it! Thanks for reading my post.

Thank you.
good second hand? you should always start off with a cheap violin..around the $500 price tag then move on..it depends on what you define as second hand because my violin is second hand but it's really expensive so we had to get it insured..instead start out with a student violin..

there is a place in burwood and croydon..forgot the names but if i remember ill come back on and say which sell student instruments as well as music sheets..

and dont teach yourself the violin..it's fine to teach yourself a piece after you you do about a half a year of lessons..dont bother buying books which show like pitures on how to hold a bow etc..you'll never get it..

other than that..you probably will find it hard to get anything cheaper than $20/hr..

Last edited:

Concerti

HSC
:rofl:
xXmuffin0manXx said:
good second hand? you should always start off with a cheap violin..around the $500 price tag then move on..it depends on what you define as second hand because my violin is second hand but it's really expensive so we had to get it insured..instead start out with a student violin..

there is a place in burwood and croydon..forgot the names but if i remember ill come back on and say which sell student instruments as well as music sheets..

and dont teach yourself the violin..it's fine to teach yourself a piece after you you do about a half a year of lessons..dont bother buying books which show like pitures on how to hold a bow etc..you'll never get it..

other than that..you probably will find it hard to get anything cheaper than $20/hr..
haha Joseph =]
You never miss a chance to gloat about your 250 something year old violin:rofl:
dont forget to come this saturday !!!

Anyway..don't buy your violin off ebay.. It isn't wort it.
Go to a violin shop and tell the person that you're looking for a student violin.
He/she should point you in the right direction.

Also, if you're planning to do AMEB, don't learn the violin by yourself.

Kittikhun

HSC
Damn that sucks. I really want to learn to play the violin but I don't have the money and I'm never, ever going to ask my parents to ask them to pay for lessons. It would be too much.

If you were in my situation would you think it would be worth it to still buy a violin at this time, though? I really want to play the violin in my life. There's no other instrument besides that.

Thanks for your replies and care and sorry about not posting back here in a long time to answer your offers of violin sales.

HSC
Kittikhun said:
Damn that sucks. I really want to learn to play the violin but I don't have the money and I'm never, ever going to ask my parents to ask them to pay for lessons. It would be too much.

If you were in my situation would you think it would be worth it to still buy a violin at this time, though? I really want to play the violin in my life. There's no other instrument besides that.

Thanks for your replies and care and sorry about not posting back here in a long time to answer your offers of violin sales.
i rkn it would still be worth it to buy one because it gets harder to learn as you get older..

you should ask your parents if they know anyone that owns a violin who is willing to lend you it..

then all you gotta worry about are strings and lessons
that would probably put you off another $50 - $120 depending
on the quality of string that you wanted..

Concerti

HSC
superelizabeth said:
strings can go up to $120? omgwash.
evah pirazzi which are the strings he uses are usually around $100
passione from pirastro which i use usually fetch up to $110-$130
correlli alliance strings are usually up there as well

on second thoughts, most pirastro strings are expensive

I suppose it ultimately depends on how the string combines with
the violin. Dominant string are usually the safest bet. G, D and E
with a Pirastro E is usually a strong combination which many violinists
use.

Last edited:

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
I use Helicore, approx US$40 per set.
Obligato strings ftw though :D

I advise you NOT to buy your violin online, because you won't be able to hear it etc, and you don't know the condition of the instrument very well.

SHOPS:
Sydney String Centre
The Violinery
Some place in Lindfield, Edgecliff, and Gordon.

Buy overseas where instruments are much cheaper

jiyeonPARKK

HSC
Concerti said:
:rofl:

haha Joseph =]
You never miss a chance to gloat about your 250 something year old violin:rofl:
dont forget to come this saturday !!!

Anyway..don't buy your violin off ebay.. It isn't wort it.
Go to a violin shop and tell the person that you're looking for a student violin.
He/she should point you in the right direction.

Also, if you're planning to do AMEB, don't learn the violin by yourself.
Wow. You're not joking are you?

As for strings, I use Dominant. Evah's are way too expensive for my liking.

Hey, muffin, concerti, chi..
Are any of you in SYO?

Last edited:

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
In relation to OP's question, I am also interested in learning the violin, however is the teacher absolutely necessary? I currently have been playing piano for about 10 years now, and have played guitar for about a year. I also have good relative pitch and somewhat but not-so-perfect pitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)