• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parking sensors and doing the P's test (1 Viewer)

rowdyroddy

HSC
Yeh my car is a holden caprice, quite big and long, also have parking sensors
the beep beep, move closer, beepbeepbeep, closer, beeeeeeeeeep etc.

Are they allowed to be used in the driving test for P1 licence?
Thinking they would put me at an advantage and the instructor would tell me to turn them off or something.

rowdyroddy

HSC
i may have answered my own question here but still open to input, if anyone has used them in a test.

"You may use reversing cameras and sensors to aid reversing." taken from guide to driving test RTA pdf.

astroe

HSC
I thought you can't turn them off.
That's a good point you bring up though, I mean what if you owned that Lexus that parks itself and you pretend to hold the wheel or something. LOL. :p

chrisarmstrong

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, they let you use them. My tester was more than happy to let me use them, and that was about a month ago.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel this topic brings up the issue;

Where modern technology can improve and/or aid our driving ability (where I use the term 'driving' to encompass all aspects of practical day to day driving which the drivers licence covers), should it be permitted in the driving test? Or does this increase new drivers' dependence on such driving aids?

Whilst some argue no because it creates a community of inadequate drivers (e.g. some countries require manual transmission licence tests regardless), but I feel that these technologies do not really replace human driving skill but rather they just improve our ability to do things properly. For example parking sensors merely warn you if you can't perceive for whatever reason that there is something close to your car when reverse parking- at the end of the day, you still need to be able to do the basics to benefit from the technology.

As for the Lexus which parks itself in another thread- that's going too far in my opinion. Not sure where to draw the line but I'm very definite that a car which can take over control of the steering wheel and throttle for the driver (i.e. leaving only the brake) is a bit too much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)