• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Postgrad Dentistry (1 Viewer)

warrenn

HSC
hello, i am looking to do postgrad dentistry at sydney uni, would studying business at uts have a negative impact on me getting into postgrad dentistry?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
It won't, though I believe you need to do GAMSAT to apply graduate Dent. Moreover, GAMSAT requires some university level chemistry or physics. (See: http://www.dentistry.usyd.edu.au/student/bdent.php)

Unless there are bridging courses that get your prepared for GAMSAT otherwise, you will be put in disadvantage in an indirect way.

Fatmandy

HSC
can anyone let me know what the best choice of an undergrad. course would be for high chances to get into dentistry??

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
There are no best one. Just keep in mind that you will be examined on chemistry and physics skills in GAMSAT.

deltastrider

HSC
Your undergrad degree does not affect the selection of B Dent students. It's all based on your GAMSAT score and interview performance... and since the interview is a multiple mini interview combined with medical students, they no longer ask you about your personal history or experiences.
However having said that, doing a science degree will give you a step ahead for the GAMSAT as well as studying the dentistry course which is very intense and they expect you to know a lot...
Basically students without a science background has much more workload and self study time to understand the basic concepts that gets thrown at you. There is extra classes that these students have to attend on top of the 30 ~ 35 hours weeks.

I recommend any degree that has the following subjects,
Chemistry, Physics, Physiology, Anatomy, Immunology, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology because these are the basic life science subjects you'll be learning in Dentistry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes. I agree with deltastrider. I would be good, but not essential, for you to choose to do a generic B Sc degree or B MedSc.

lil-angeliz

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Yes. I agree with deltastrider. I would be good, but not essential, for you to choose to do a generic B Sc degree or B MedSc.
I agree, with medical science. I just finished the hsc this year and too want to study dentistry at uni of sydney postgrad, but i am going to medical science next yr. Aparently, there is alot of study involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)