• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

question o.o (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Let's say the guy who is ranked 1st in biology got 94 percent and the second guy who is ranked 2nd got 88 percent and the third guy who is ranked third FAILED.. 4th place onwards also failed... and there are about 60 students doing biology.... how much will the first and second guys who got 94 and 88 percent be affected?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If this happens in HSC, 2nd place and onwards will be dramatically affected

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Then, should I drop bio next year if the ppl doing biology remain getting such bad results?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If you can manage to be first, then don't drop it. If you think you can't, then I'd say drop, regarding that the ranks in all your other subjects are much better...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh, the drop off in marks from ranks should not affect you too much.

I came second for Phys.

Now top three got B6.

4th got a very low 70 (I think 72).

My assessment mark and third's assessment mark only dropped our final HSC mark by 1.

Reason why this happened is because our difference in ranks throughout the year was all proportionally correctly made by our teacher.

So by the time we got to HSC we were not highly affected.

In saying that if those below you do really well, then you could rob a few marks off them.

Even if say internally rank 2 and rank 3 had a 50% difference. Rank 4 and rank 3 virtually no difference. Ranks 1 and 2 virtually no difference. If rank 1 gets say 90 raw (and assuming this is highest), rank 2 80 raw, rank 3 70 raw, rank 4 60 raw, then the final assessment marks will be something like:

1: 90 obviously as unaffected
2: 88-89
3: 61
4: 60-61

as an example say.

So rank 2 actually got a lot of marks off rank 3 in the end. Note that all the marks add up. The cohort earns a specific amount of marks which is distributed according to their ranks and difference between ranks in a systematic manner, hence adding up perfectly to the same amount of marks originally obtained.

In saying all of this, dw, just try your best and you will be fine. Don't drop just because you are coming second and are worried of a huge drop in aligning. If you stay super close to first then you shouldn't go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)