• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reading Lecture Slides before Lecture (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
I was wondering for people's thoughts on how useful and worth it doing this is, in your opinion.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I was wondering for people's thoughts on how useful and worth it doing this is, in your opinion.
Highly recommended.

Even better if you do readings based on the content, prior to the lecture itself.

The best notes consider what is not written in the slides, rather than what is written in the slides.

Ethicks

HSC
I don't agree, if you are reading the lecture notes on complex topics you don't understand there is really no point reading about it before. I skim over them and read more later.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh I always walk out of a lecture better and better understand stuff if I have read the content beforehand.

That's simply because it gives me the mindset of what I don't understand and what to pay attention to in particular. Also the lecture might reinforce stuff that you don't get. It is better to get lost and spend 20 minutes before a lecture figuring something out than actually spending 20 minutes in the lecture confused what is even going on and also losing track of the other content introduced afterwards.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't agree, if you are reading the lecture notes on complex topics you don't understand there is really no point reading about it before. I skim over them and read more later.
It really depends on the area of study to be honest.

There are naturally areas which are more conducive to self-directed learning than others (I'd argue that this is primarily applicable to the Arts and Commerce areas) so I can understand if you haven't been able to do the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)